Any grinder with a solution for reducing oxidation of beans in the hopper? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Auctor

#11: Post by Auctor »

jpender wrote: I'm not convinced that an Airscape type of storage system is particularly effective in the first place.
I'm starting to believe this as well. I own an Airscape, and I single dose half of my beans from every 12oz bag I open, and store half of my beans in the Airscape. What I've noticed over the past few weeks is that my second set of single doses are noticeably more stale, almost rancid, by the time I get to my final doses.

I think that the idea of air removal in the way VacuVin does with wine cannot be applied to coffee because coffee is porous, and when you take the air out of the system, you're actually removing something from the fresh bean itself in the process (what that is I'm not sure). This is why I think freezing in an airtight container works. You're actually stopping or slowing the coffee aging process. I'm now wondering if the ideal single dosing method is to single dose into an airtight container, and put that container in the freezer. Then grind the "frozen" single dose on demand.

jpender

#12: Post by jpender »

That's wonderful. How hard could it be to do that yourself? :-)

"I killed two freezers," said Hirte. "I think I was about $1,500 in the hole before I got this result."

He estimates that from start to finish, the entire project probably soaked up a few thousand dollars, but he's willing to open-source all models, parts and plans to anyone interested, so they need not make the same mistakes.

"I mean, you shouldn't be drilling holes in freezers, is what I learned," said Hirte. "I got lucky with this one. It doesn't seem to have any gas lines running through the bottom of it. I'm into the idea of people ripping the idea and using it. I like the idea of this being something that could be useful to the industry and help people produce a better product."

Marcelnl

#13: Post by Marcelnl »

or, drink enough coffee to keep up with supply...alternatively: get just enough supply to keep up with your demand :mrgreen:
LMWDP #483

BrandtStarck

#14: Post by BrandtStarck »

Can you really discern oxidation in your beans?

I put two pounds of coffee into the hopper of a K30 and it'll last me two weeks (I usually have two-three other beans going at the same time to single dose) and, with the exception of grinding a little finer as the two weeks pass, I don't really notice an incredible difference.

It's likely that my palate just isn't that good, but I'm quite satisfied with this method.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by walr00s »

Depends on the beans. On some, aging smacks me in the face in an extremely unpleasant way.

cgibsong002

#16: Post by cgibsong002 »

The only way to seal from both ends (top and bottom) would be to have some type of valve above the burrs, but that weighs require purging the remaining amount that gets trapped below your valve. You'd also need to make it opaque and have to pump or purge it after every use. Basically, the same amount of effort as if you just used a separate sealed container and single dosed. I'm sure eventually someone will come out with something but it's in a weird in between super niche space.

The alternative option of freezing the hoppers from Proud Mary Cafe is a pretty awesome one.

Tj.

#17: Post by Tj. »

I agree that you should make sure you have a problem to begin with. I have strong doubts the problem is any more than theory for the timeframe we are talking about. These sorts of things get debunked all the time by blind taste tests. Especially when your air tight container is being opened twice a day...

boren (original poster)

#18: Post by boren (original poster) »

I used to leave enough beans in the hopper for a few days and staling was a common issue. I now make sure to not leave more than a day's worth and staling is much less of an issue. It's a real problem, and one that I'm surprised isn't even solved in expensive grinders.

boren (original poster)

#19: Post by boren (original poster) »

The new Sanremo X-One grinder takes a big step in the right direction. Quote:
X-one is the only coffee grinder which integrates a system of weighing of coffee beans before grinding.
If this grinder has a shutter to dose the beans into the grinding chamber, it means they already designed the first step required for a hopper that can maintain vacuum in between grinds. Now just make it completely sealed and add a pump.

iploya

#20: Post by iploya »

The one thing I miss about having a hopper is the coffee is always available to dispense at the touch of a button.

My solution (not really a solution but made me feel better) was to form a circular layer of Saran/plastic wrap on top of the beans, and add a circular drink coaster to weigh it down, underneath the hopper lid.