Any Ditting Lab Sweet owners want to test all the burrs? Pics of 4 burr sets - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jb-0101

#31: Post by jb-0101 »

Did you keep the machined burrs as well? Did you try both burrs before purchasing?

Acavia

#32: Post by Acavia replying to jb-0101 »

No I bought demonstration unit, and paid difference in burrs price plus $50 for Ditting to change them.

Advertisement
jb-0101

#33: Post by jb-0101 »

Has anyone here used the machined burrs for espresso? Is it possible?

Marmot

#34: Post by Marmot »

I don't have an 804 with machined burrs but two used 1203s with these kind of burrs. I guess they are the same but just larger. I can easily grind for espresso and never get close to touching even when doing long preinfusions with super light roasts.

jb-0101

#35: Post by jb-0101 »

Ok great thanks for the feedback. You have the lab sweet burrs on your 804 right? How does the taste of espresso differ between the 1203 machined burrs and the 804 lab sweet burrs?

Marmot

#36: Post by Marmot »

I have two 804s with the original cast iron burrs which were the model for the new lab sweet burrs. So maybe not exactly the same. Which is why I am also interested in this comparison ;)
For me the difference is not very large but I also do not taste that mich of a difference between flat and conical burrs.
The cast iron burrs do enhance sweetness though and it is a lot easier to extract a good espresso. Especially dark roasts come out well with these burrs. I also have a used Versalab M3 and the result is surprisingly similar but the cast iron burrs still produce a little bit better in taste and get me more "creamier" espresso.

bakafish

#37: Post by bakafish »

Marmot wrote:I don't have an 804 with machined burrs but two used 1203s with these kind of burrs. I guess they are the same but just larger. I can easily grind for espresso and never get close to touching even when doing long preinfusions with super light roasts.
The 1203 machined burrs look very different than the 804's.
My friend's 804 with the machined burrs can grind fine enough for dark roast espresso, but I don't drink dark roast and my Tanzania (805) can grind light to medium espresso for 6 bar extraction only. It can grind very very fine and the EY can exceed 23% easily, but the puck cannot resist 9 bar.

Advertisement
Marmot

#38: Post by Marmot »

Yes, you are right! I never really looked at the KR804 burrs before. I assumed they are designed to give the same kind of grind as the larger grinders. But the end of the burrs looks very strange with curves in the last part.

gilbert

#39: Post by gilbert »

I've got 2017 machined burrs in my kr804. Use them for espresso daily and I'm enjoying them. Light roasts with 20secs of 1bar preinfusion into 8bar extraction

I'd be really interested to hear if anybody has any more comparisons between the machined vs cast burrs, are they very different in taste? Obviously the cast burrs have the reputation as being amazing and sweeter etc.

Photo of my burrs: