Any Ditting Lab Sweet owners want to test all the burrs? Pics of 4 burr sets - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ad-85

#11: Post by Ad-85 »

How's pour overs compared to Comandante? Looking to upgrade my brewing gear in a couple of months and LS 807 is a strong contender. Can you grind fine enough for espresso? Is it any good? I can't imagine 1 grinder is good in both worlds but I'm only interested in brewing. So either this or the cast steel burrs from ssp on a lagom p100. My only dripper is the Blue Bottle dripper and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

jb-0101

#12: Post by jb-0101 »

Most of us have a very small sample to draw from, so check out this video from Michael who has used and compared lots of grinders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xi6dZbdWNQ

Ad-85

#13: Post by Ad-85 »

I'm interested in real users' reviews not some youtube channel. People who use the grinder and compare it with other grinders. I trust users from HB more than any youtube channel (even James Hoffman's channel). No offense to Michael but he is comparing everything to his pre 2015 ek43 burrs which is impossible to find (it's like comparing all horses to a unicorn that only can be seen by him).
LMWDB #691

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

coffeemmichael is a HB user. For the lesser grinders and burrs I have also tried I've found his reviews to be accurate.. but then it's a matter of taste in the end.

jb-0101

#15: Post by jb-0101 »

Wow. Unnecessarily aggressive. He is a real user, and a regular HB contributor. Yes he is comparing to his pre-2015 EK which are hard to get, and what comes up 2nd or close to on par... the readily available 804/807 lab sweet. He has also by default compared it to the commandante which you were comparing against and thinks it's better. Please don't write him off just because he's in the fortunate position to be able to compare multiple grinders when the rest of us haven't. I'd take his evaluation very seriously!

But up to you...

Ad-85

#16: Post by Ad-85 replying to jb-0101 »

Sorry if my comment seemed aggressive I honestly wasn't trying to! I asked Michael on youtube's comments section and his answer wasn't satisfying to me! He said "both are good grinders" in reply to my too many questions. Then I asked him on Instagram's direct messages and got the same short answer. That's why I'm interested in answers by people who take the time and effort to answering my questions. I too have plenty to ask and I'm interested in this grinder. I was interested in Max Coarse but I don't think I can get one due to high demand even next production is fully booked. So questions about alignment for example are really important to me! I wasn't being disrespectful to anyone especially Michael! I think he is doing his best to create content on youtube and I wish him fame and success. When I said real people I meant people who reply to us and answer our questions. Video comparisons don't answer my questions or react to them! I didn't mean he wasn't a real person nor a member on this forum. Again sorry for the misunderstanding
LMWDB #691

jb-0101

#17: Post by jb-0101 »

Hey yeah ok that makes sense now!

I can't comment well on alignment, as my understanding of alignment now is much better than when I started playing with it, so I can't tell you how well they're aligned out of the box. Also mine is 2005 model and they may have improved since. What I can tell you is that tweaking alignment on the 804 is very easy, I sanded my carrier (not sure if it was necessary) and then have a couple of shims in the get it perfect. I reckon you could do a few shims if necessary out of the box and you'd be right.

Ad-85

#18: Post by Ad-85 »

I'll wait a couple of months and keep an eye on Lagom P100, Ozik, Molar Mini Z, LS807 and Bentwood. In the meantime I'm going to read everything I can find online. Thanks for sharing your experience.
LMWDB #691

Acavia

#19: Post by Acavia replying to Ad-85 »

Something you might want to consider since this is likely an item that should last decades. Ditting is likely to be around in the future; those other companies are small niche, many to all basically start-up companies - they have a good chance of not being around. So if you need parts, service etc., with Ditting you will more than likely be able to get it. With the small status of those other companies plus the unique designs of their grinders, there is probably a better chance than not you would not be able to get parts.

coffee_Me

#20: Post by coffee_Me »

Ad-85 wrote:How's pour overs compared to Comandante? Looking to upgrade my brewing gear in a couple of months and LS 807 is a strong contender. Can you grind fine enough for espresso? Is it any good? I can't imagine 1 grinder is good in both worlds but I'm only interested in brewing. So either this or the cast steel burrs from ssp on a lagom p100. My only dripper is the Blue Bottle dripper and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.
I have been brewing (V60), tasting and measuring the same geisha varietal on both 807 LS and Comandante for the whole week. The emphasis on 807LS is really sweet, sweet and sweet. Sometimes I purposely tasted higher TDS/Extraction on Comandante vs lower TDS/Extraction on 807LS, 807LS is still obviously sweeter. Because of the easy sweetness from 807LS, now I tend to brew with slightly lower TDS/Extraction on 807LS to avoid overwhelming sweetness and bring out more floral and fruity layers. Occasionally I got crisply brighter first sip on Comandante, and always round mouthfeel in the end. I didn't manage to get any crisply bright fruity note on 807 LS for this coffee, maybe it's not in there, I don't know.

Those are my two cents for now. And I will continue to try some fruitier Ethiopia/Kenya coffee on them, it will take time.