America's Test Kitchen Equipment Review: The Best Coffee Grinder and Our Testing Winners

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coryforsenate

#1: Post by coryforsenate »

Post for some discussion fun. It doesn't include the super expensive powerhouses but does include the more affordable home grinders.

Baratza won.

coryforsenate (original poster)

#2: Post by coryforsenate (original poster) »

I want that KRUVE Sifter but $100 for a sifter would have to be my Christmas gift.

day

#3: Post by day replying to coryforsenate »

I have not watched the video, just responding to this comment. I got in on the kickstarter and didn't use it for a long time. Started using it a month or so ago and it has drastically helped my used Bunn. Taste significantly better after sieving. I am really hoping I do not need it when I get a monolith though, because it really does make the morning grind tedious, plus my wife refuses to use it but also refuses to drink coffee without so now I am stuck having to wake up and do it for her or deal with complaints. :cry:
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

Interesting around he 6min mark that the tester states something like "Why does the industry prefer burrs grinders? Because they're hands off unlike a cheap blade grinder." Yet they chose the Encore that does not have a timer while the runner up Capresso Infinity had a timer feature which allows the user to walk away or do other prep. I've owned both of these and the timer is the main feature to why I kept the Capresso for my drip and pou over usage over the Encore. Since conical burr are forgiving I've never had issues with less grind setting for drip or pour over. Swiss made burrs and 66% the cost $99 vs $150. I stepped up to the heavier, quiter zinc die-cast body Infinity for less than $140.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Bluenoser

#5: Post by Bluenoser »

How come no one is saying that they found even Baristas could not find a difference between the cheapo blade grinders and the burr grinders; in blind tests.

Is it not a real challenge spending up to $3k for a great burr grinder for pour over and then find that a $19 blade grinder gives results that can be comparable. That was my takeaway from this. Made me go.. hmmmmmmmmmm (as I save up for that Monolith flat with coated burrs..)

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

^^^ I would avoid those particular baristas...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Richard

#7: Post by Richard »

coryforsenate wrote:. . . It doesn't include the super expensive powerhouses but does include the more affordable home grinders. . . .
My takeaway after watching the entire presentation is they are comparing whirly choppers to basically cheap junk burr grinders. <<yawn>>
-- Richard

Aguirre

#8: Post by Aguirre »

jbviau wrote:^^^ I would avoid those particular baristas...
+1

And as well they didn't mention for example which water was used, what was the brewing method & process, etc etc

in case they screw up with any of these, even if they had a monolith and/or an EK43 in the middle of those, everything would taste equally boring.

Bluenoser

#9: Post by Bluenoser »

jbviau wrote:^^^ I would avoid those particular baristas...
laughing.. .. and I would agree, was surprising they had only the lower end of burr grinders..

AZRich

#10: Post by AZRich »

there is a second video where they name where the expert tasters came from ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS8igZyhNFw