Alternative conical burrs - Niche Zero - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
diungerich (original poster)

#11: Post by diungerich (original poster) »

LewBK wrote:Seems a bit odd there's a new thread for this discussion by a new member just a few posts from the involved Gorilla Gear one. I'm not saying it's promotional astroturfing, but why not just combine this thread with the GG one, given the subjects overlap?
There is no overlap. It was a random thought since I hadn't seen anything. I was unaware of the Gorilla's. You said it yourself. I'm new to the forum.

cafeIKE

#12: Post by cafeIKE »

EvanOz85 wrote:It makes crummy espresso from light roasted beans. Full stop.
Light roasted beans make a crummy beverage made like espresso :wink:

EvanOz85

#13: Post by EvanOz85 replying to cafeIKE »

To each his own! :mrgreen:

EvanOz85

#14: Post by EvanOz85 »

another_jim wrote:There are people on the board who are flat burr and light roast nerds. For them, George Howell's or Manhattan's brewing roasts are medium to dark. If you are not part of this club, and think these roasts are actually light; then the Niche pulls very nice shots with light roasts.

I am currently making the Howell's Mamuto AB and Manhattan's Letty Bermudez as single shots with the Niche. The Mamuto is spectacular; the Bermudez is a little too banana cream pie for my taste, but still a lovely coffee. I do think if you get a 98mm grinder like the Max or P100, you' get a tad more out of these roasts. But, the difference is small, and for me, at least, not worth all the extra dialing in.
I wouldn't say I'm part of that group, personally. Maybe I should have said "crummy espresso for light roasts for MY tastes."
I find both George Howell's and Manhattan's roasts to be quite light, and I just prefer the way roasts like that taste on large flats by a large margin. Almost any time I try to pull them on large conicals, I end up with an unpleasant astringency that's just not present on the flats. Kafatek's Shurikone's minimize this astringency to a much more tolerable level, but still not as good as the flats.

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

EvanOz85 wrote:I find both George Howell's and Manhattan's roasts to be quite light ... Almost any time I try to pull them on large conicals, I end up with an unpleasant astringency that's just not present on the flats.
Try becoming a singles nerd like me. I find astringent flavors, whether from very light or very dark roasts, go away in singles.
Jim Schulman

josephjosephjoe

#16: Post by josephjosephjoe »

Strega and niche user here

any tips for singles Jim?

I also have an ode with SSP so I have been enjoying doing head to heads and I have found benefits to each

I am interested in these gg burrs (especially since lance was involved based on his youtube comments)
but I will hold off until the qc issues are ironed out etc.

based on my current understanding of conicals i think a slow feeder or a pre breaker might be a more logical upgrade than the burrs (but i am no expert!)

Moderator Note:
Discussion on pulling singles split to:
Tips for pulling singles with the Niche Zero

cafeIKE

#17: Post by cafeIKE »

I recently got in three 58mm IMS single baskets from Stefano @ EspressoCare

The Barista Pro 1460026 [10-12g] makes an excellent single. It works well with a bottomless portafilter which I prefer for cleanliness.

The other two left me non-plussed on the beverage with their recommended doses. They have a different hole pattern than the Pro and were adjudged as more work than a 'standard' Faema single.

JamesB517

#18: Post by JamesB517 »

EvanOz85 wrote:It makes great espresso from medium/dark+ beans. Full stop.

It makes crummy espresso from light roasted beans. Full stop.
I do not fully agree. If you embrace the turbo, you can get absolutely fantastic espresso from the Niche with very light roasts. With lighter roasts I go for 17g in to ~51g out, and when aiming for just around 15 seconds only at a flat 6 bar profile, while putting boiling water into a pre-heated Flair 58x, I get deliciously floral and fruity results, albeit a thinner texture.
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by mborkow »

I thought the whole point of the NZ was the Mazzer Kony burr...for people who are swapping burrs, what is it you are chasing?

syc

#20: Post by syc replying to mborkow »

FOMO on clarity and fruit flavors. The Niche also as a well deserved reputation for just having a very clean workflow.