Aligning a 2015 Mahlkonig EK43 - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

bostonbuzz wrote:The other thing is that if you shim even a little in one spot the burr will bend around the shim as you tighten the screws making a bit of a wavy taco and raising it in other places.
I wonder if the best way to shim a burr with three screws is always use one burr under or just behind the three screws. That will lift the burr free of the mount and avoid the "wavy taco" problem. Then finish shimming by adding additional shims under one or more of those three shims.

NYFilter93 (original poster)

#13: Post by NYFilter93 (original poster) »

Got it. I guess I should use aluminum oxide sandpaper for the steel carrier?

#14: Post by NYFilter93 (original poster) »

So update:

I got some 220 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper and went to work on the carrier. I couldn't tape the burrs together with the chamber burr screwed in, so I removed both burrs , taped them together and placed them in the chamber. I got through two rings of sandpaper and decided to do a marker test.

First, the chamber:

Next, the carrier:

I need to improve the radial alignment, but the alignment took for that is out of stock from Prima. I still plan on measuring the run off with and without the burrs, but the results look much better

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by blondica73 »

For the radial adjustment, just buy a couple of blades steel feeler gauges of Amazon, works like a charm, that's what I used for the radial alignment on my EK43s.

#16: Post by NYFilter93 (original poster) »

Would they go around the outside of the rotating burrs? And which size would I use?

Eiern

#17: Post by Eiern » replying to NYFilter93 »

Inside of the burr, I use three feeler blades, the EK burrs + carrier isn't a very tight fit.

#18: Post by NYFilter93 (original poster) »

Sorry. I meant do they go in the outer or inner circle of the burr

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by blondica73 »

Inner circle. The feelers are different gauges, pick the one that fits he best.
Some examples: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Fee ... 0112916011

#20: Post by NYFilter93 (original poster) »

So I picked up a dial indicator and I'm not sure how to position it to work with the chamber and carrier. Attached is an attempt.

Do I need a different type?