The Alicorn: Achieving Precision Alignment with the Baratza Forté/Vario - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pcrussell50 (original poster)

#71: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

bytheway wrote:I had heard about the original Alicorn owner raving about it for brew so the more that rave the stronger the recommendation! The burrs must play a large part when super aligned
What I'm somewhat (though not totally) surprised about is the slow trickle of reports about great espresso coming from the steels, after alignment. Pretty exciting for someone like me who doesn't drink much drip.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

bklynjim

#72: Post by bklynjim »

Can someone explain the ink test and how to interpret the results in a bit more detail? Are you simply looking for all of the ink at the very edge of the burrs to be removed from all the burrs? Mine appear to do that after I added the Forte pieces and did the alignment, but I'm thinking I may allow to much contact between the burrs when I do the test. Are you only letting them touch very lightly for a few seconds? If I do that, the wear is not even.
Thanks!
Jim

pmark

#73: Post by pmark »

@bklynjim You can find an explanation here: http://coffeenavigated.net/wp-content/u ... tNorth.pdf

ronner
Supporter ♡

#74: Post by ronner »

Thank you all so much for givng such great directions on doing this alignment. I have a Vario I purchased used about a year ago (when it was about 1.5 years old). I had just moved up from a 20 year old single boiler(really...) to an Expobar Brewtus. So I have been adapting to a non-pressurized portafilter. What I thought were my problems.. right or wrong
1. inconsistent prep of the puck (probably 70% correct)
2. The grinder is inconsistent (no proof, but it just did not seem consistent) Still unsure...
I was getting very frustrated with the Vario, but had not decided to sell it...
Then I read this! Lightbulb on!
I ran the ink test and sure enough the alignment was off. I always thought that setting the burr adjustment (via the set screw) did not sound right.
So, I bought the Forte Upper carrier, Grind Chamber and some steel brew burrs.
I put the Steel burrs in before aligning to get some idea of how they operate. I started to do a burr adjustment with the set screw, but stopped because the sound did not seem right.
Time to do the Alicorn alignment.
I replaced my Vario parts with the Forte parts and did the Alignment.
After getting it all back together I did the burr adjustment. Night and day difference in the noise (noisy but smooth is the best way to describe it). For the short term I took the Steel burrs out and put the ceramic ones back in. I ran an ink test and Voila! Perfect.
Again with the burr adjustment the adjustment sounds cleaner/smoother.

Now some questions I hope to find out...
Would the variability of the grind for espresso make for inconsistent brews? would how I prepare the grounds caue the finer grounds to aggregate (at the bottom maybe)?
Prior to this alignment I would get channeling once in a while but I can catch it (bottomless portafilter).
I am so jazzed to give this a try now.
I'll let you know what I find.

[After a couple days of usage] using the Alicorn aligned VarioForte.
Wow, night and day difference.
1. the espresso pulls went from decent to WOW. I did not realize how bad they were.
2. Dialing in a new roast is now much easier... I was able to dial in 2 new roasts, 1 on first setting. 1 on second setting.
The espresso shots went from nearly always a bit on acidic side (if I was lucky) to incredibly well balanced.

Thanks again.
Ron

neohk

#75: Post by neohk »

wonder if anyone found an easier way to fill that deadspace under the steel burr?

#76: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to neohk »

I think people have been printing discs for doing just that. I vaguely recall someone having the file for it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

realbrotherjay

#77: Post by realbrotherjay »

Thanks to all who've made this thread such a wellspring of information! I had previously made this post to ask what turned out to be a dumb question, which was solved by reading the instructions for the grinder I just bought. Read those instruction manuals, people! About to take a second pass at the alignment, having gotten subpar results on my first go.

Re-edit: Having done the alignment process twice, I am at a bit of a standstill. Pictured are my ink test results after my second attempt, which is nearly identical to the first set of results. Users who've done the process, am I doing it wrong, or is this as close as I'm going to get without shims? I'm confident that I followed the instructions carefully, but could have gone wrong in interpreting the silent videos. Motor belt is reasonably tight but not overly so. I even tried loosening it a touch as Jake's earlier post indicated, but to no avail. Any help would be great - thanks!

alarsen77

#78: Post by alarsen77 »

pcrussell50 wrote:I think people have been printing discs for doing just that. I vaguely recall someone having the file for it.

-Peter
If there is a file for it I would be interested in it.

#79: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) replying to alarsen77 »

I put a bug in the ear of a person who might be able to help. :wink:

-Peter
LMWDP #553

alarsen77

#80: Post by alarsen77 »

Great thank you.