After a year with the Compak R120

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I'm still trying to break in the Compak R120 and the 20-15 pounds of old coffee I have that I'm currently running thru it aren't putting a dent in the sharpness of the burrs. It'll no doubt take a good 250 pounds, which may exceed my lifetime at the rate I use each individual grinder. The burrs are still razor sharp.

I never peeked at the internals till today and was happy to visualize the grind chamber in all its cleanness. This is after about a year of low home use, without cleaning or brushing anything. It's a visual confirmation of my extremely low retention. Only on espresso, if I don't use RDT, I get anywhere from 0.2-0.5g retention, just from static cling in the output nozzle. For drip, it's even less.

Dinner plate sized burrs for the win. Again, that's a year's worth of retention sitting there.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

F1

#2: Post by F1 »

That's pretty impressive. No caked coffee or oil build up at all.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to F1 »

And this was after running 2 hopper fulls of old dank dark roasted coffee thru it too.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bronsht

#4: Post by bronsht »

Tom,
That is impressive. I was holding out for the Kafatek Monolith flat burr but it is 68mm diameter. Of course it is also $1000 less than the R120. Decisions, decisions. Meanwhile I labor pleasantly with the first edition HG-1 with only a few minor complaints. Thank you for the pics.

shawndo

#5: Post by shawndo replying to bronsht »

FYI, The monolith flat is 80mm. Conical is 68mm
(Still not 120mm flat)
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

Good update Tom. Thanks. Nice to have a showdown between the super big flats...for all things espresso.
No Espresso = Depresso

AndreG
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by AndreG »

The Monolith flat are now: 75mm Titanium Nitride coated D2 tool steel burrs rated for about 10500lbs/4800kg of coffee grind through

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

Is that the Anfin Super Caimino burr set?
LMWDP 267

F1

#9: Post by F1 »

AndreG wrote:The Monolith flat are now: 75mm Titanium Nitride coated D2 tool steel burrs rated for about 10500lbs/4800kg of coffee grind through
This is true. I just checked the Monolith website and these are the burrs they are advertising. I thought I read the were planning on using Compak flat 80mm burrs. I wonder what prompted the change.

nismo270r

#10: Post by nismo270r replying to F1 »

Issues obtaining the burrs from Compak prompted the switch to the 75mm Mythos TiN burrs, which I can't see as being too horrible. :lol:
Chris
LMWDP #509