Aergrind: compact coffee grinder by Knock (Kickstarter) - Page 29

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Stanic

Postby Stanic » Sep 21, 2018, 6:52 am

should you have issues with the lid not staying put, adjust the retention screw with a 1mm allen key
Image

Dan_

Postby Dan_ » Sep 22, 2018, 3:28 pm

autoexec wrote:I was the guy in that vid. :lol:
Anyway, what have you already done to remove the cone burr? You can skip the allen key if you don't have one by just loosening the 2-piece shaft with your fingers and when it seems you've loosen them up completely, just pull the upper piece and it should come off. There is a rubber o-ring that holds them together even after you've reached the end of the threads. You can separate them just by gently pulling but make sure you've loosened the threads completely. Just be sure to remember where the washers originally reside as they can easily be misplaced when removing the shaft. Vice-versa, you can remove the cone burr with the allen key (i think it's 3.5mm) without seperating the 2-piece shaft. I think it's safer since you won't have the chance of losing bearings/washers with this (only the allen screw :p) And yes, you can't thoroughly clean it without removing at least the cone burr. Some people don't care, but some of us do. :wink:


Thanks for your video! I've loosened the allen key, loosened the 2-piece shaft with my fingers and pulled it off, but I haven't taken out the rubber o-ring inside. Is it a black rubber ring? Because I spotted that and it wouldn't budge. What about the bearing inside does it just slide out (mine wouldn't budge either)? As I said in my previous post, I am thinking there might have been some design changes(?) because in your video everything "falls out" (for lack of a better term) but my parts seem fastened.

Anyway, I did loosen the burr until it was sticking out and attacked it with a couple baby bottle brushes and gave everything a good wipe and it was pretty much clean enough for my liking. But since I bought it directly and I can't get in contact with Knock, I might as well fiddle with it :lol:

User avatar
autoexec

Postby autoexec » replying to Dan_ » Sep 25, 2018, 6:09 am

No need to remove the rubber o-ring in the shaft IMO. As long as you managed to remove the the 2 part shaft apart, it's considered job done I suppose. :) You may now clean the two burrs more effectively. The bearing and washer on the top side on mine remove easily from the body. However the bottom ones doesn't. It's seemed to be either glued on or is super tight fitted.

rogersta

Postby rogersta » Oct 09, 2018, 10:58 am

My first generation aergrinder top cap and handle need to be replaced. I sent off an email to Knock but not sure I will even get a response let alone replacement parts. Also sent off an email to the barn who are stocking the new cap but don't list the handle. Anyone have another source for these parts? I

gocanes

Postby gocanes » Oct 10, 2018, 4:30 pm

Stanic wrote:should you have issues with the lid not staying put, adjust the retention screw with a 1mm allen key
<image>

Thanks for the pics! My plastic lid cracked months ago and of course I am not able to get in touch with the manufacturer for a replacement. I ordered the metal lid yesterday via the barn. Can't wait to get this thing repaired.

renatoa

Postby renatoa » Oct 11, 2018, 2:36 am

Can't be done on a lathe ? No such services in your city ?
Looking at Feldgrind cap, it can be done even 3D printing... ugly but does the job.

Stanic

Postby Stanic » Oct 11, 2018, 11:47 am

gocanes wrote:Thanks for the pics! My plastic lid cracked months ago and of course I am not able to get in touch with the manufacturer for a replacement. I ordered the metal lid yesterday via the barn. Can't wait to get this thing repaired.

I'm really happy with mine
I've adjusted the screw and stabilised with a tiny drop of glue...it seemed to undo itself with repeated use, now it's perfect

rogersta

Postby rogersta » Nov 29, 2018, 11:06 am

rogersta wrote:My first generation aergrinder top cap and handle need to be replaced. I sent off an email to Knock but not sure I will even get a response let alone replacement parts. Also sent off an email to the barn who are stocking the new cap but don't list the handle. Anyone have another source for these parts? I


Reached out to Knock and was told they were sending some replacement parts to their USA dealer (Prima) a while back. Prima told me they did not receive any handles. Tried reaching back out to Knock several times and have received no reply. I assume they could not be bothered in the hassle of providing a replacement part. Anyone have one they would like to part ways with?

mikemaddux

Postby mikemaddux » Nov 29, 2018, 12:27 pm

rogersta wrote: Tried reaching back out to Knock several times and have received no reply. I assume they could not be bothered in the hassle of providing a replacement part.


Exactly.

Cardboardgeorge

Postby Cardboardgeorge » Dec 04, 2018, 4:38 pm

Just joined the party so much better than the porlex!