Aergrind: compact coffee grinder by Knock (Kickstarter) - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dergitarrist

#21: Post by dergitarrist »

Bob_McBob wrote:The 25g capacity makes it a nonstarter for my typical usage, but I guess many people only ever brew single cups. I understand the appeal of fitting in an Aeropress (a criticism of the Feldgrind when it was released), but the Feldgrind is already incredibly easy to travel with, and ~13cm vs. 19cm height doesn't make much difference to me.
I guess the Haus- and Feldgrind are more fitting to your typical usage then - which isn't a knock on the Aergrind (see what I did there?). I lugged my Feldgrind through the Jungle and the Andes in Peru, Bolivia and Panama last autumn and while it was worth it and I'd do it again, "incredibly easy to travel with" aren't the word's I'd choose. 300g less, 13 vs. 19cm height and fitting inside an AeroPress makes all the difference in the world in that scenario.
LMWDP #324

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#22: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Why is nobody talking about the bottle opener cut-out in the handle? 8)
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

max

#23: Post by max replying to jbviau »

Brb. Upgrading to the 10-pack.

That bottle opener is definitely intentional.

Bob_McBob

#24: Post by Bob_McBob »

dergitarrist wrote:I guess the Haus- and Feldgrind are more fitting to your typical usage then - which isn't a knock on the Aergrind (see what I did there?). I lugged my Feldgrind through the Jungle and the Andes in Peru, Bolivia and Panama last autumn and while it was worth it and I'd do it again, "incredibly easy to travel with" aren't the word's I'd choose. 300g less, 13 vs. 19cm height and fitting inside an AeroPress makes all the difference in the world in that scenario.
Backpacking in the jungle with an Aeropress isn't exactly typical "travel" usage for a hand grinder, but my point was that the Felgrind would weigh almost the same as the Aergrind if the internal construction were similar. Most of the weight savings comes from eliminating the chunky internal grind mechanism block and making the walls thinner.
Chris

dergitarrist

#25: Post by dergitarrist »

And shorter. And the lid. And the handle. We'll just have to wait and see. I put money down for two and I'm looking forward to it. :)

Re: typical travel use, that was exactly my point. Everyone travels differently. The Aergrind will definitely find its audience. Those who need more than 25g at once and don't mind the extra chunk will be very happy with the Feld- and Hausgrind. It's not like they have to be discontinued for the Aergrind to be added to knock's portfolio.
LMWDP #324

malling

#26: Post by malling »

The Feld is small enough even for backpacking in the jungle, the size nor the weight doesn't come even remotely close to what else you can bring with you in other equipment, such as lenses, cameras or for that matter tents and cooking equipment. Sure nice that you can put it into an Aeropress that way lose less space, but for most the small savings in size and weight is a none benefit unless they pack light.

Then as someone else mentioned it's not the majority who bring their coffee grinders with them on jungle tracking and mountaineering, or rather I never met or heard of anyone who did.

dergitarrist

#27: Post by dergitarrist »

I don't see why this is an argument. Yes, the Feldgrind is "small enough even for backpacking in the jungle". That's why I did it. But with the Aergrind, it would appear that I can save 300g and a third of the size. Why wouldn't I?
LMWDP #324

max

#28: Post by max »

malling wrote:The Feld is small enough even for backpacking in the jungle, the size nor the weight doesn't come even remotely close to what else you can bring with you in other equipment, such as lenses, cameras or for that matter tents and cooking equipment. Sure nice that you can put it into an Aeropress that way lose less space, but for most the small savings in size and weight is a none benefit unless they pack light.

Then as someone else mentioned it's not the majority who bring their coffee grinders with them on jungle tracking and mountaineering, or rather I never met or heard of anyone who did.
That it is small enough doesn't change the fact that smaller is better. What dergitarrist is suggesting is "mange bække små gør en stor å" ("little strokes fell great oaks", or literally "many small brooks make a strong river")
Weights and sizes of all the things to bring to the jungle add up, but none of them is the straw that breaks dergitarrist's back...
Also saving 300 g in more of the devices listed, would end up with quite a contribution.

malling

#29: Post by malling »

dergitarrist wrote:I don't see why this is an argument. Yes, the Feldgrind is "small enough even for backpacking in the jungle". That's why I did it. But with the Aergrind, it would appear that I can save 300g and a third of the size. Why wouldn't I?
You need stuff that can handle it, it needs to be regid enough when used in the wild. The feld has that without beeing overly large or heavy like the Lido. Lightweight and small dos not always equal a better solution. There has been way to much effort in making things small and light, but to often this has led to it beeing fragile and not rigid enough to withstand continuous use.

Besides you missed the point. The point is that for most folks who actually travel with these, the shrinked size bring no noticeable benefit at all, as they are not traveling as Light as I am! I understand it if you are one of those few who can live with a 20-35l backpack for months or even years at a time (like me), or those who bring coffee equipment on their mountaineering but those are rare species and hardly enough for anyone to launch a product. This is most likely just going to cannibalizes on the feld, so it make no sense really.

Another point is if you have a feld, I see no point in getting this one, as the feld is small enough.

Gustopher

#30: Post by Gustopher »

Size and weight aside the most important improvement I can see is the price! The Feld/Haus/Lido/Helor/Kinu/commandante are all very capable grinders with different ergonomics/designs and relatively slight differences in grind quality. For the people on this for they are all worthwhile purchases and we would be happy with the results of any one of these grinders.

The Aergrind however is getting towards a price point where it will become competition to the slice of the market buying porlex and other ceramic burr grinders. To convince your regular jo that spending $100 instead of $50 will get them a result a worlds apart is much more achievable than trying to convince them to spend $200-300. Essentially this is the cheapest grinder option, electric or manual, that will allow punters to actually get results at home close to what they are served at their local cafe. For those of us who roast and sell coffee this is a very good product to add to our retail shelfs.

My point being that the main market improvement for this grinder is not nessecarily the people on the forum but those just starting to get interested in brewing at home.