Advice on a motorizing a Kinu M47

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
toolate

#1: Post by toolate »

Not needing to do so yet but wondering if I could use an old Rocky Rancilio somehow to make this mod?

palica

#2: Post by palica »

That would be very complicated for very few advantage. If motorizing a manual grinder is in your plans, the simplest if probably to start from a small drill.

Advertisement
cebseb

#3: Post by cebseb »

The motor coupling is the most difficult part with the Kinu. You might be able to reuse the Rocky motor, but you will still need to figure out how to couple the grinder to it. This is how I motorized mine.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4920960

LObin

#4: Post by LObin »

Sell the Kinu and get a Goat Story Arco?
The burr set is pretty much identical after all.
LMWDP #592

cebseb

#5: Post by cebseb replying to LObin »

I have thought about doing just this, but the alignment system of a Kinu m47 classic and the Arco is not the same. The Kinu m47 classic has a Morse taper which almost guarantees critical alignment.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Pressino »

The Morse taper fit is between the cross piece frame and the body, not the spindle, which is a straight walled cylinder riding in straight walled ball bearing races. It helps a bit centering the cross frame but doesn't guarantee burr alignment in the same way Morse taper fit chuck spindles do in lathes.

TigerStripes

#7: Post by TigerStripes »

I made a motor stand for my kinu. If you search my posts, you'll find my build thread for it.
LMWDP #715

Advertisement
Ken5

#8: Post by Ken5 »

Very nice Evan!

Interesting grind pattern in the basket! Guess it make perfect sense, just never saw that when grinding by hand with my Kinu, most likely due to normal shaking of the grinder during normal operation.

TigerStripes

#9: Post by TigerStripes replying to Ken5 »

Thanks Ken. I also have a sette 270wi and that grinds a similar pattern into the basket, although the kinu grinds seem "fluffier". Not sure it makes a difference. Both make good espresso. :)
LMWDP #715

LuckyMark

#10: Post by LuckyMark »

Evan, that is very impressive!