Adjusting grind setting for new Mazzer Mini burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nickel

#1: Post by Nickel »

I just replaced the burrs in my Mazzer Mini. I am a bit confused as to the setting I now have to use to get a decent pour time. I was at 4 clicks finer than the "start here position", but now with new burrs I am about 6 clicks coarser than the zero point. Is this normal?

Nick

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

The "start here" sticker was specific to the factory-installed burrs. You'll need to repeat finding the zero point. Also see Fine tuning grinder setting with minimum waste for helpful tips.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Nickel (original poster)

#3: Post by Nickel (original poster) »

I did find the new zero point. The new settings are relative to it.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

IIRC, the "espresso zone" is around 1/8th turn from the zero point, maybe a bit further. Your grinder's setting sounds finer, but it may be a case of the burrs needing to settle in. If you have some old coffee, try running a few pounds through the grinder (30 seconds on, 1 minute off, repeat). For test purposes, I run 5 pounds of coffee through the burrs to eliminate flashing/swarf/oddness. See Is this grinder break-in? for more.
Dan Kehn

Nickel (original poster)

#5: Post by Nickel (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. I would have thought that once the burrs have settled in I would have to grind fine, not coarser as the burrs would have become duller with use. This is the first time I have changed burrs on a Mini. I had a Gaggia MDF before and when I changed burrs I had to grind coarser initially.
This is what confused me as to the initial setting relative to the zero point on the Mini.

Thanks again for your help.

Nick

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

I don't recall the setting being predominantly one way or another prior to break-in. The symptom was a fussy grind setting, presumably because the particle distribution was meandering.
Dan Kehn