98mm Shuriken LM vs. Shuriken SW

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nyles855

#1: Post by Nyles855 »

These burrs have been around for a while now.

Any discussion on the real difference between them?

Kafatek indicates that the SLM is the best "all-around burr" and that the SW is the best for typical espresso. Anyone had the opportunity to compare these side by side?

I'm mainly an espresso drinker, and I've heard great things about the SLM, but wonder if SSW would be the better choice.

cebseb

#2: Post by cebseb replying to Nyles855 »

There are plenty of members here that would give you as much info on these burrs as one can handle, but I think it would help if you could first be more specific about the type of espresso you enjoy. Medium roasts or light? In what type of ratios? Etc.

Nyles855 (original poster)

#3: Post by Nyles855 (original poster) replying to cebseb »

Fair enough! I somehow always forget that everyone doesn't drink the same thing as me haha.

Majority of the time I'm drinking light roast, rarely edge into medium if I find something interesting there. Ratios I drink are 1:2, sometimes 1:3. That's why I think SW is probably for me, but again, I've heard great things about SLM as the best espresso burr out there.

H2c4

#4: Post by H2c4 »

Following this as well. Got slm ordered from doing research. Drinking mostly light roasts.

Nyles855 (original poster)

#5: Post by Nyles855 (original poster) »

Just as a quick update, the most information that I've found is on the kafatek forum. There's at least 3-4 threads that talk about this topic extensively.

Basically, what I gather, is that they're not that different. To absolutely simplify it for espresso: SSW may have a higher ceiling, but SLM has a lower floor. If you ever want to do a medium roast or filter, go for SLM.

cebseb

#6: Post by cebseb »

Nyles855 wrote:Fair enough! I somehow always forget that everyone doesn't drink the same thing as me haha.

Majority of the time I'm drinking light roast, rarely edge into medium if I find something interesting there. Ratios I drink are 1:2, sometimes 1:3. That's why I think SW is probably for me, but again, I've heard great things about SLM as the best espresso burr out there.

Very good. Other users have chimed in with similar replies I had in mind, but to add a little bit more to it, I think SW would be a great fit for you. The LM burrs are so popular because they rarely encounter a roast or bean that they can't extract desirable qualities out of. The SW however, is known for its ability to draw out more nuances that the LM may have missed in the more esoteric examples out there while still retaining most of the LM's versatility.

Chert

#7: Post by Chert »

When I click these burr threads, I sometimes wonder how many others look at these threads and scratch their heads about the abbreviations. I honestly don't know what any of them stand for. That's probably a marker of someone not engaging in and possibly incapable of burr-taste-discernment.

Carry on
LMWDP #198

JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JonathanMichael »

In my experience the LM burrs are much more intense with sharper definition and the SW is more of a gentle presentation with more rounding.

malling

#9: Post by malling »

Chert wrote:When I click these burr threads, I sometimes wonder how many others look at these threads and scratch their heads about the abbreviations. I honestly don't know what any of them stand for. That's probably a marker of someone not engaging in and possibly incapable of burr-taste-discernment.

Carry on
I think it's okay overall for Kafatek as that's what he call them and it is for most part obvious and his naming is far more logical well except the SW that kinda odd make no sense.

MD > Medium Dark
LM > Light Medium
SW > ???
CR > Coarse

SSP is a mess in comparison
HU (high uniformity)
MP V1 (multipurpose brew)
MP V2 (multipurpose)
LU (Low uniformity)
BP (Brew)
LS V2 (Lab Sweet brew)
LS V3 (Lab Sweet Espresso)
UM ( Unimodal)
Pre2015 Cast burr
Ultra/ ULF (Ultra low fines)

What worse is any name is entirely dependent on the burr size what it means HU can be everything from modern take on traditional espresso burr to a brew specific burr a complete mess, Multipurpose (MP) are on other (Mahlkonig) called Unimodal (UM) so if some are confused they can just sign up they aren't alone

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#10: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

fwiw on the Kafatek Forum Mivantisky said:
That is pretty well documented where i have commented on it previously.

It may be necessary to connect a few dots...

I now have 3 MAX grinders. (MAX2, 2x MAX).

Two grinders have the SLM, and one has the CR burrs. SW was voted off the island. One of the LM grinders lives at work.
Also what espresso machine you use will likely matter.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart