98mm Burrs for Brew - Page 22

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EvanOz85

#211: Post by EvanOz85 »

GorchT wrote:Yes the "Cast" look more like HU and Brew(meaning the look of the preBreakers) and the Pre15er have only the 2 "PreBreakers". Since the naming of SSP is weird, I can't guarantee it, but I had both from Titvs bought 2021.
I'm not sure what you mean, can you maybe post a picture? I have a set of the "Cast" 98mm, and in looking at photos of the SSP pre-2015 I really don't see any difference at all, including in the pre-breakers. Are you maybe thinking of the reground MK burrs?

GorchT

#212: Post by GorchT replying to EvanOz85 »

Sorry I don't have photos with me, so the pre 15er look something like in this :
[SOLD] SSP Cast EK Pre-2015 98mm Burrs
The cast look more like these (not sure which exactly those are, but the pre breakers look the same in the Cast that I had):
https://cafune.ca/products/ssp-red-spee ... flat-burrs
I found an image from me sorry for the quality on the left the 15er and on the right the cast

EvanOz85

#213: Post by EvanOz85 »

That's not the cast on the right. Not even close. Those aren't even cast burrs at all..you can just tell by looking at them. They're some other machined burr like HU or LU. The second link you posted is definitely a set of HU..it even says it on the box.

I think you're confused. The SSP Cast and the SSP Pre-2015 look exactly the same. My cast burrs look exactly like the ones on the left, and the ones in the first photo. I'm almost certain that SSP Pre-2015 and SSP Cast are the exact same burr. I think Hansung has just sold them with one or the other name on the box. I'm just gonna ask him.

These are the SSP Cast burrs, of which I own with Red Speed coating:

rmongiovi

#214: Post by rmongiovi »

EvanOz85 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a difference between SSP's 98mm burrs marked as "Cast" and the ones marked as "Pre-2015"? I don't mean the legit EK burrs that SSP regrinds to SSP geometry, but rather the "Pre-2015" cast burrs they produce in house. From all the pictures I've seen they both look the same, and I'm wondering if it's just a case of two names for the same burr-set.
When I bought my "cast" burrs from SSP there were two things Hansung seemed to call "pre-2015": the cast burrs and MK post-2015 burrs reground to pre-2015 geometry. I've no idea how closely either of those actually conform to true MK pre-2015.

I've seen Hansung answer the same question differently at different points in time. That seems to generally be attributed to the language barrier.

EvanOz85

#215: Post by EvanOz85 replying to rmongiovi »

Yep sounds correct. Unfortunately I believe he also for a brief period called his own cast burrs "Pre-2015" since that's what the cast burrs are supposed to be dupes of.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#216: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

It's hard to tell with the quality of the fotos, but I assume the difference between cast and pseudo pre15 is the size of the flat area. Similar to the difference between current EK43 and MK pre15 burrs.
Better find someone with hands on experience with both SSP burrs. I only have experience with both MK burrs and the difference is rather larger. One can do espresso with reasonable parameters the pre15 can't. I would argue that current EK burrs can't do pour over. It surly can physically but the taste is absurdly different.

rmongiovi

#217: Post by rmongiovi »

What are you calling "pseudo pre15?" As far as I know SSP only provided two alternatives as replacements for the MK pre-2015 and I don't remember ever seeing a picture of the reground MK post-2015 burrs to compare with the cast.

My understanding at the time was that the cast burrs were based on the MK pre-2015 with modifications by SSP to make them better for espresso. I don't know how the reground burrs compared. I think Titus sold both so they might have some insight.

I expected the brew burrs were intended to put an end to all that confusion, though personally they seem to have only added to it.

GorchT

#218: Post by GorchT »

EvanOz85 wrote:That's not the cast on the right. Not even close. Those aren't even cast burrs at all..you can just tell by looking at them. They're some other machined burr like HU or LU. The second link you posted is definitely a set of HU..it even says it on the box.

I think you're confused. The SSP Cast and the SSP Pre-2015 look exactly the same. My cast burrs look exactly like the ones on the left, and the ones in the first photo. I'm almost certain that SSP Pre-2015 and SSP Cast are the exact same burr. I think Hansung has just sold them with one or the other name on the box. I'm just gonna ask him.

These are the SSP Cast burrs, of which I own with Red Speed coating:

I checked my emails with frank from Titus he called one of them cast and the other ones pre15 in 2021. Maybe he then confused something I don't know.
Maybe he confused something becuase in the invoice for my nautilus it says "filter" which is German for brew. So on the right might be the brew burrs and on the left then the cast burrs. Then the brew worked quite well for espresso atleast for me.

rmongiovi

#219: Post by rmongiovi »

I don't believe the confusion begins with Frank. When I was looking for burrs to improve my Kafatek MAX for brew (which is all I'm interested in) I specifically asked Hansung about his pre-2015 burrs and he said that was the cast burrs. As I said earlier, ask Hansung the same question twice, be prepared for two answers.

franklin270h

#220: Post by franklin270h »

EvanOz85 wrote:Yep sounds correct. Unfortunately I believe he also for a brief period called his own cast burrs "Pre-2015" since that's what the cast burrs are supposed to be dupes of.
The earlier Cast burrs he made I've seen him put in a box labeled "Pre-2015" but ultimately the same burr as what he calls "Cast" now.

He did the same with Low Uniformity (he was calling them "Low Fines" at first and sending them in boxes labeled that).

Seeing the difference between his cast and a reground or original MK burr is fairly easy to spot though

*SSP has over time though, revised around with flute angles and outfall depth on various burrsets so no real guarantee any burr from them over time is exactly the same as years ago. Not entirely sure if that's all by design or somebody got a monday edition.