98mm Burrs for Brew - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#171: Post by Jonk »

Seems to be a tweaked ghost tooth, with more teeth - perhaps not as tall? They're present in some inexpensive 78mm grinders as well:

hooplehead

#172: Post by hooplehead »

Would these burrs be good for brewing medium roasted coffees? I've mostly heard and read they're good for light roasted beans.

malling

#173: Post by malling replying to hooplehead »

I doubt these are that good for light, ghost/interlocking cannot really grind fine enough especially for smaller brews. I yet to come across any that has changed that, when I lived in Asia where this design is very common, it was always not as good as could have been had they been able to grind finer, on the hand I never seen any of these not doing reasonably well for medium and dark.

Edit: can now see you references is brewed, yes these are mostly good for very light to light, it's clarity and flavour separation isn't well suited to darker roasts.

Eiern

#174: Post by Eiern »

hooplehead wrote:Would these burrs be good for brewing medium roasted coffees? I've mostly heard and read they're good for light roasted beans.
Do you mean 98mm Brew or like the poster above assumed the ghost/shark tooth burrs?

If Brew I'm not sure if darker roasts would be a good match as they are so clear and revealing that you will taste the roast clear as day and would maybe have to work around that and then whats the point of having these. The extract very high easily from light roast with normal methods.

hooplehead

#175: Post by hooplehead »

Brew Burrs. I should have clarified.

GorchT

#176: Post by GorchT replying to hooplehead »

for me it tastes ashy with medium roasts so I would not use them for anything else than light roasts.

EvanOz85

#177: Post by EvanOz85 »

Just pre-ordered a P100 with the Brew burrs installed. Really looking forward to trying them out, and I hope they're as unique as everyone is saying.

booitswoo

#178: Post by booitswoo »

I'm trying to decide between pre-ordering with the Brewing burrs or the Cast burrs, or just ordering with the stock HU burrs and ordering a set of the SSP pre-2015 EK burrs...really having a hard time deciding to be honest.

Jonk

#179: Post by Jonk »

GorchT wrote:for me it tastes ashy with medium roasts so I would not use them for anything else than light roasts.
Eiern wrote:I'm not sure if darker roasts would be a good match as they are so clear and revealing that you will taste the roast clear as day and would maybe have to work around that
Curious about what method you're referring to here: espresso, pour over or both? Asking because my experience with the (admittedly different) 64mm brew burrs matches for espresso, but the pour overs taste less ashy/roasty compared to more traditional burrs.

Eiern

#180: Post by Eiern replying to Jonk »

I mostly do pourovers with my Brew but have done some espresso and they are very clear/revealing there as well. I have ULF and HU for espresso.