98mm Burrs for Brew - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rmongiovi

#121: Post by rmongiovi »

Regardless, your use of the adjective "unusable" (a pretty strong description I think you'll admit) is surprising considering Denis did a taste test with those burrs (well, assuming he did the same for your MAX as for mine).

Jake_G
Team HB

#122: Post by Jake_G »

An accurate description of my experience, all the same. And one that mimics Paddy's experience of these burrs in Nautilus, hence my post.
PaddyBerlin wrote:...subsequent experimentation has resulted in very disappointing results and either channeling and spraying from the bottomless portafilter or choking.
LMWDP #704

Advertisement
hoxha

#123: Post by hoxha »

PaddyBerlin wrote:Short update:

After extensive testing, I would rate these burrs on a par with, or potentially even a touch above the SSP pre-2015 MK cast burrs for filter brews. I get consistently delicious results on V60 01 (15g/250g) with light roasts, and they're not even fully seasoned yet. I will switch back to the cast burrs in a few weeks and see what differences I notice.

One thing I have noticed is that the screw holes seem to be smaller on these burrs, and there appears to be a lot less coffee getting stuck in those holes because they're covered more fully by the screws, so they seem to grind more efficiently with less retention. I'll aim to take a photo when I switch the burrs back to demonstrate what I mean.

For espresso, it seems that I got very lucky with the first shot I did because subsequent experimentation has resulted in very disappointing results and either channeling and spraying from the bottomless portafilter or choking. But I didn't buy them for espresso, as the Niche has that covered, so I am not motivated to do much more experimentation on that front.
just in case these burrs are producing a low amount of fines, have you read gagné's posts about pulling low-fines espresso?

https://coffeeadastra.com/2021/04/14/pu ... sso-shots/
https://coffeeadastra.com/2021/05/10/a- ... sso-shots/

malling

#124: Post by malling »

If we any kind on clarity of this matter and remove any kind of biase, I think we would need prober triangular test, where more people are involved. Because right now we are in a situation where things can depend on personal preferences, alignment, coffee and water used. It's borderline impossible to conclude anything from this except that majority seems to think the HU isn't that suitable for brewed.

But besides that some seems to like the LU, others the pre2015 ssp version and others seems to like the ultra low fines the most for filters. Others are in a complete different opinion regarding this subject. Personally from what I tasted, the original pre-2015 is the best, I most say from test and triangular test I never really fancied any of the machined burrs for brewed, some where okay but overall where lacking, I kinda think the same with the SSP 64mm.

But really my favourite is the Ditting Cast.

zero610

#125: Post by zero610 »

To complicate matters even more for those trying to pick a 98mm brew burr, a user on Levercraft Ultra Basecamp just detailed some great filter coffee results he's getting with the HU burrs (comparing to an EK with reground pre-2015 MK burrs). While the preference doesn't hold true for every coffee bean he's tasted, the fact that it can flip flop like that is important. He's not alone either...there are several other LCU users, (including Eric, the owner) running HU burrs for filter. Whether it's the machine, slower RPM, or some other factor, the fact that several people are reporting the same should mean the burrs are at least worth taking a look at for those who already have the HU burrs.

hoxha

#126: Post by hoxha »

It would be really great if Eric could tell us about his laser diffraction PSD results... I guess they're not ready yet, but given the insane lack of clarity in terms of what's actually what, any objective information about size distribution (though I'm not claiming a 1:1 relation between particular PSD characteristics and best taste for all coffees, necessarily) would be insanely helpful.

luca
Team HB

#127: Post by luca »

have been borrowing a few burrs and took this photo to illustrate the differences in the "outfall" gaps, which are circled in red.

From top to bottom, the burrs are:
1. SSP HU
2. Gorilla Gear (old one, now called "turkish")
3. SSP LU
4. New Mahlkonig, revised with deeper outfall, but apparently not as deep as the old EK burrs.

LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

Advertisement
Jake_G
Team HB

#128: Post by Jake_G »

Is this a new multi-stage grinder you're assembling? :mrgreen:
LMWDP #704

luca
Team HB

#129: Post by luca replying to Jake_G »

Yes, it very effectively grinds away at my patience and free time.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

Jake_G
Team HB

#130: Post by Jake_G »

The difference between the outfall of LU and HU is not nearly as stark on the set I've got on the bench...

LU on top.

I notice your LU set appears not to have the edge chamfered like the HU. Is yours an older burr set?
LMWDP #704