83mm Mazzer Conical OEM vs SSP Red/Yellow Coated

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ferrariandcoffee

#1: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

Is there any kind of grind difference between the 83mm Conical From Mazzer OEM and the Coated Burrs from SSP?

NelisB

#2: Post by NelisB »

Yes, the SSP burrs have a coating. Otherwise there is no difference.

Denis

#3: Post by Denis »

The coating means higher durability of the cutting edges (xxx kg non coated vs xxxx kg coated), less friction (lower ground temp), faster grinding, a more efficient cut- slightly better cuts- a more homogeneous particle.

There is a guy who changed last week the burrs inside a Kenia and before it took 10-12 sec for 18 g and now it takes 3 seconds for 18 g. The burrs were dull and the ground coffee was hot at touch.

animus128

#4: Post by animus128 »

When I emailed Hansung about the 71mm Robur burrs last year he said that the only difference with the coating is longevity. I should not expect a notable difference in grind quality. I guess this makes sense as they are really no more than the OEM burrs with coating and have no custom geometry (SSP does not have the tools to produce custom conicals).

Ferrariandcoffee (original poster)

#5: Post by Ferrariandcoffee (original poster) »

Gotcha. I guess I'll go with maZzer OEM then. What can I expect to pay for Mazzer OEM 83mm conicals? I'm yet to come across a site that sells them, I only see the"Food Friendly" brand of burrs which go for $114 on eBay, etc.

I contacted HG-1 guys and they mentioned (same for uncoated or coated) that a replacement would cost $250. Which sounds a bit high.

Denis

#6: Post by Denis »

The price for original 83mm Mazzer burr is ~220 $ + . What you find on internet are not original but a replacement part (lower quality).

Check how much are the SSP, they are better.

The originals have Mazzer logo on them and 0187C code.

Ferrariandcoffee (original poster)

#7: Post by Ferrariandcoffee (original poster) »

They are around $300 + shipping so about $320 or so

At this point i would rather just buy a new HG-1 ... do they all still come with coated burrs these days?

sweaner

#8: Post by sweaner »

Denis wrote:There is a guy who changed last week the burrs inside a Kenia and before it took 10-12 sec for 18 g and now it takes 3 seconds for 18 g. The burrs were dull and the ground coffee was hot at touch.
So, new, sharp burrs are better than old, dull burrs... :roll:
Scott
LMWDP #248

NelisB

#9: Post by NelisB replying to sweaner »

Yes, and with a coating they stay sharp longer

cafemolino

#10: Post by cafemolino »

haven't seen them on site only the 71mm

hm Today's, 10:31 am post is gone how nice :mrgreen: