80mm 'Boyt Super' Ditting burr - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Edal (original poster)

#11: Post by Edal (original poster) »

I've never tasted the E80S burrs but they look like a perfect middle ground between the Boyt set and the Ditting casts. I would've given these some serious thought if I had started with zero burrs for the Ditting. This little graph might be of interest to you and others:

In terms of taste I'd put the Boyts quite high on the Y axis at this point. I also agree with the placement of the casts/Lab Sweets which leads me to believe the E80S placement is probably pretty accurate. They seem like they'd be fabulous all-rounders.

Chert

#12: Post by Chert »

I would've thought eg-1 base and SsP LU would have been closer. Aren't they closer on the grinds distribution compared to LU and Ultra?
LMWDP #198

gilbert

#13: Post by gilbert »

May I ask, without trying to derail the thread as I'm most interested in the burr discussion. What's the advantage of this vs the stock knocker and chute?

I'm very tempted to buy a set of boyts. By the sound they'd be great for filter without too many fines?

Edal wrote:The elbow is a really basic stainless steel one. Tried a few copper ones I had around which worked just fine as well. Anything that you can jam over the rubber outlet on the Ditting will work fine. Couldn't bring myself to get rid of the rectangular snout piece even though it serves no real purpose beyond sweet, sweet industrial aesthetics.

Edal (original poster)

#14: Post by Edal (original poster) »

The simple elbow with bellows is just way easier to deal with when grinding straight into a portafilter compared to the gigantic bag-mounting spring-loaded chute with two holes in the back of it.

atao
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by atao »

I have 80mm 804 machined and 80mm lab sweet burrs both with an 804 grinder.

I saw the various youtube reviews praising the lab-sweet burrs like everyone else so i got those burrs and promptly seasoned them with 40lbs of coffee.

They pulled amazingly pretty shots but for whatever reason, i could never grow to love them. I recently pivoted back to the 804 machined steel burrs and really like them more. They taste sweeter, more well rounded than the lab-sweets to me. I pull both medium-dark roasts and lighter roasts and they both tend to taste pretty nice on the machined burrs. For me, it's like you took a Niche and lifted the clarity a good bit, but otherwise a similar level of well-roundedness. They not as acidic as 64mm MP burrs for lighter roasts so i like them significantly more there as well. I even have 64mm lab-sweet burrs which only have <5kg in them but so far the 64mm ls are not in the running. i probably have to wait a bit longer.

I'm finding this experience a bit odd because it seems to go against most of the user experiences i've read in this thread and other threads. I guess taste is subjective?

asamimasa

#16: Post by asamimasa »

Acavia wrote:Weber Ultra are same as the SSP 80mm HU confirmed by a few posters here.
Without wishing to deviate too far from the original topic of Boyts, I've got the HU's and Ultras in hand, and they're... not quite the same. I did purchase them with the expectations of them being the same based on Hansung's communication. The differences are beneath my detection threshold.

I did get my set of blind 80LS for the EG-1, ran 10lbs through them. Enjoying them so far but will hold off on making conclusive statements at this moment. I received my copy about a week ago and cannot say I'm quite pleased with the visual sample variance on my copy.

bostonbuzz

#17: Post by bostonbuzz »

Are those proper lab sweets or the "special steel" e80s burrs in your last photos. Interested to hear your take on them.
LMWDP #353

Acavia

#18: Post by Acavia »

asamimasa wrote:Without wishing to deviate too far from the original topic of Boyts, I've got the HU's and Ultras in hand, and they're... not quite the same. I did purchase them with the expectations of them being the same based on Hansung's communication. The differences are beneath my detection threshold.

I did get my set of blind 80LS for the EG-1, ran 10lbs through them. Enjoying them so far but will hold off on making conclusive statements at this moment. I received my copy about a week ago and cannot say I'm quite pleased with the visual sample variance on my copy.

Thank you for posting this.

Many poster have stated they are the same, SSP confirmed it and a popular coffee Youtuber, who will not named because he complains at the slightest critic, recently stated they are the same, but your pictures clearly show a material difference. The outfalls appears to be materially different sizes.

There is a language barrier in communications with SSP, so SSP might not have understood what people were asking. The posters who have stated the two burrs are same probably do not have both as you do, and where just going by what SSP stated. The recent coffee youtuber stating they are the same geometry evidently did not place them together as you did.

I was not comfortable in my correspondence with SSP - I did not think the SSP person understood what I was asking as his answers did not really seem in sync with my questions, so I ordered the Ditting machined burrs instead.

Acavia

#19: Post by Acavia »

bostonbuzz wrote:Are those proper lab sweets or the "special steel" e80s burrs in your last photos. Interested to hear your take on them.
Edit: He can answer but they look to be cast/rough while the E80s appear to be smooth/machined but they do not appear to be Lab Sweet as those are normally marked 80 10 S on the cutting edge but his has a "B"

EvanOz85

#20: Post by EvanOz85 replying to Acavia »

They're SSP's blind version.