64mm SSP burr models. Any comparison table?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

The page on the company website doesn't even list the different 64mm models. Is there any comparison table that covers suitability for different brews (pourover, espresso), different roasting levels, clarity, body, speed, load on the grinder motor etc?

fxroberge
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by fxroberge »

Here is a blog post review done by Jim on the home barista team

SSP 64mm Burrs Review
In the pursuit of the perfect cup

Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

The best is probably from https://www.option-o.com/faq-lagom-p64

I guess we can assume that their Mizen and SSP's cast have certain similarities. Haven't read any head-to-head comparisons though.

malling

#4: Post by malling »

The diagram from Option- O is pretty good to go by

The Italmill, Mazzer would be the same as HU in that diagram.

SSP Cast would be the same as Mizen (although I hear Mizen is a tiny bit more clear)

You can then add the Ode v2 burr as the third option under brew as the one with most texture.

Brew;
Clarity; SSP UM1 (Brew)
Juicy, less clarity more texture: Mizen/SSP Cast
Texture, rounded; Ode v2 (I suspect many won't taste a difference between Ode V2, SSP Cast and Mizen)

Espresso
Clarity: SSP MP
Texture, blended; HU, Mazzer, Italmill

Dual use
Clarity: SSP MP

surehusk

#5: Post by surehusk »

Having tried Italmill as well as Mazzer 233M, I would strongly recommend Mazzer. Fluffier grind, faster, lower pitch noise, more balanced body vs. thin Italmill body.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by StoicDude »

I will be putting in the Italmill in my other Super Jolly and will report back for comparison with the Cast V2.

retireddude

#7: Post by retireddude »

Has anyone tried the Mazzer 33M vs SSP HU? I ordered a Zerno with blind SSP HU burrs, but I'm curious if I would have been just as happy with the Mazzer.

retireddude

#8: Post by retireddude »

I just answered my own question when I followed the link above to the review by "another_jim." SSP 64mm Burrs Review
HU Burr
I only tested this for espresso, since it is not designed for brewing. It performs very much like the standard Mazzer or Italmill burr, delivering an edgier shot when compared to the Niche or to 68mm conicals. In blind comparisons, they were easy to tell apart. However, compared to the standard burr, the HU burr simply tastes better. It has the sharper edged tastes of a typical 64mm flat burr, but no harshness. This is especially apparent on lighter roasts, when the acidity and light bitters can get nasty on the standard 64s, and where finding the sweet spot on the HUs is a lot easier. I wholeheartedly recommend this burr to anyone who prefers the taste of 64mm flats over 68mm conicals, since it has a better taste than most of the 64s I've ever tried.

malling

#9: Post by malling »

retireddude wrote:Has anyone tried the Mazzer 33M vs SSP HU? I ordered a Zerno with blind SSP HU burrs, but I'm curious if I would have been just as happy with the Mazzer.
The HU are better overall especially for light, though not really my preference in terms of interpretation...

I vastly prefer cast in 64mm, as it doesn't fall in the typical harsh or one dimensional category of most of the other burrs. The HU are acceptable though if you like the profile.

I don't particularly like Mazzer & Italmill 64mm these simply don't do light roast justice, for that I prefer Mahlkonig 65mm on OM burrs and it's frankly no competition, these are by far my preferred on 64ish traditional style OM burrs, but obviously won't work to big and run in opposition direction.

PartySausage

#10: Post by PartySausage »

Has anyone tried the Mazzer 233M burrs? I was wondering how they stack up against the 33M & SSP HU?