64mm burrs with a pre-breaker vs. 83mm without - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Capuchin Monk

#11: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Ursego wrote:I understand that it's just a belief and it's an ad, but anyway:
Yup and a grain of salt would be the standard ingredient for this type of dish. :wink:

As for so called pre-breaker, when Mazzer Philos showed theirs, it really does look like pre-breaker (auger) but some others look more like bean conveyor (screw threads). :?

arkiebob

#12: Post by arkiebob »

another_jim wrote:The Versalabs and DRMs I tried had conicals that were too widely spaced to break beans. Used without the flats burrs, the beans just fell through them whole. The conicals act to force the beans into the flat burrs, which on the DRMs have no coarse grind section of their own.
Hey another_jim, when dialing in one of these Versalab grinders, are you able to dial in the conical and flat part independently? Or is the conical part set to a specific size and you simply adjust the flat burrs? Thanks!

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

On the early Versalab model I had, and on the Cimbali Max, the conical burrs were non adjustable. Given the DRM burr design, I am not sure this can be changed.
Jim Schulman

malling

#14: Post by malling »

Capuchin Monk wrote:Yup and a grain of salt would be the standard ingredient for this type of dish. :wink:

As for so called pre-breaker, when Mazzer Philos showed theirs, it really does look like pre-breaker (auger) but some others look more like bean conveyor (screw threads). :?
Prebreak basically translates into the auger leaving not enough space for the bean to pass through so it shatters when forced forward against the wall of the chamber. Feeder usually is one where the bean can escape unharmed and whole into the burr like seen on sculptures, however several dos really a bit of both.

How much of a prebreaking the Philos dos is really up in the air but it's hardly all that controllable of a design and I imagine it would be rather uneven.

Capuchin Monk

#15: Post by Capuchin Monk »

malling wrote:Feeder usually is one where the bean can escape unharmed and whole into the burr like seen on sculptures, however several dos really a bit of both.
Up until Philos (and Kirimai) came out with a pre-breaker, other grinders of this configuration used the term feeder. Sure, some larger beans will break up in the process. Perhaps the marketing department noticed a catch phrase. :idea:

malling

#16: Post by malling replying to Capuchin Monk »

Also believe zerno wrote prebreaker very early on as well.. it's a catchy definition of a feeder

PPapa

#17: Post by PPapa »

Wasn't Lance claiming that Zerno is the first grinder with a prebreaker?

malling

#18: Post by malling replying to PPapa »

Which isn't true the Nimbus came out exactly at the same time and you can argue later EK also came with prebreaker as Mahlkönig themselves advertised this.

Also Kafatek also had some prebreak ish solution so it would be a rather inaccurate statement.

There been many attempts at this some more successful then others and still no real evidence of it working as advertised outside rollermill.