58mm SSP burrs for F4E, Mazzer Mini, etc.

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone » May 17, 2018, 8:58 am

Recently SSP has released 58mm flat burrs for F4E, older Maz.Mini etc. Until recently the smallest flat burrs they offered were 64mm.
I've been in discussion with Hansung and asked him about the performance of the 58mm burrs vs the oem Italmill / Mazzer burrs.

Reply as follows:

It is faster , and can make uniform grinding result than original one.
Also we tried to solve torque problem as it happened with 64mm burr set due to aggressive geometry. (caused by small motor)
Our 58mm burr set does not have the highly aggressive geometry because of small size and small motor. I am happy with espresso from 58mm now, enjoying it.

Faster would solve the only issue vs my previous 64mm burr grinder. Outside of some little quirks, the F4 E shoots well above it's 58mm burr size in the grind quality and better yet in the cup. Currently takes 15 seconds for a fine espresso 18-19 gram grind. I understand that we're talking about seconds more and not minutes, but that's 40% more seconds than my previous E37 64mm grinder. I'm sure the hand grinder crowd are raising their eyebrows regarding seconds to grind. Less time to grind means less noise a good thing when you're the first one up in the morning. I mostly make 2 double espresso shots per session.

Percentage difference of 9.83607% from 58mm to 64mm. F4 E and S.J. burrs operate at same speeds 1400 r.p.m. (50 Hz)1600 r.p.m. (60 Hz).
Non coated Products : 1,000 kg - 2,000 kg
ImageImage
Coated Products : 4,000 kg - 5,000 kg
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

randyr5

#2: Post by randyr5 » May 21, 2018, 9:17 am

When will these be available to purchase?

redbone

#3: Post by redbone » replying to randyr5 » May 21, 2018, 9:22 am

They're available now.
Have a none coated set in transit.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

chrisbodnarphoto

#4: Post by chrisbodnarphoto » May 21, 2018, 9:31 am

I look forward to your feedback!

Out of curiosity - why did you go non-coated? Simply for your lack of volume and the fact they would take forever to 'break in'? Or was it simply price?

Speaking of - how much were these burrs (CDN + shipping)?

redbone

#5: Post by redbone » replying to chrisbodnarphoto » May 21, 2018, 9:48 am

The none coated are rated at 600kg which is way above my usage before I "test" another larger burr grinder. On average I make two double shots per day and use my Capresso Infinity for poir over.
Break in period was a factor as I'd like to get grinding at the ideal setting sooner than later. Coated burrs are $50usd or 1/4 more. Prices include shipping.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

randyr5

#6: Post by randyr5 » May 21, 2018, 9:54 am

Rob, Who did you order them from? SSP? Vendor? I couldn't find anywhere on SSP's site to order.

redbone

#7: Post by redbone » May 22, 2018, 4:59 pm

Just arrived from SSP 58mm Red Speed burrs.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

jjk232

#8: Post by jjk232 » May 22, 2018, 5:07 pm

Looks awesome! Are you sure they aren't coated? looks coppery to me, like the Red Speed coating.

Let us know how they compare, and what the differences are between the stock ones, how they taste etc.

redbone

#9: Post by redbone » May 22, 2018, 5:15 pm

I think he sent me the Red Speed burrs for testing as I'm his first 58mm user.

Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

redbone

#10: Post by redbone » May 22, 2018, 5:59 pm

Burrs installed. Careful and used wood to secure bottom burr carrier when tightening screws.

Test run measured and seems to grind 3-4g more for 15 second timed dose.

Grinds appear finer as I will,have to test in espresso machine.

Interesting note, sounds different more robust tone.

Too early on testing to be definitive. I had to adjust the grind finer based on the ring gauge vs the oem burrs. Even though the grind was finer the amount of weighed grinds had increased slightly based on my timed dose. What seems odd is that the colour of the grinds appear different. Grinds also look and feel fluffier. Still need to dial in further and open a new bag before properly evaluating taste difference.
Needless to say burrs have a long way to go before seasoning.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549