3-D printed portafilter holder for Weber Workshops Key grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DaMaDo

#1: Post by DaMaDo »

About 5kg for me also, seems to still be getting a little better at 7kg also

I made this PF stand for direct dosing. Works with the decent PF at least. I wanted to put it in the same position each time without thinking. It doesn't move at all when putting the PF in and out, which is nice too.

Moderator Note:
Discussion split from Weber Workshops Key Grinder - user experience

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JB90068 »

That is nicely done! Without a doubt the best PF stand design for the Key. Much better than the ugly one made by Decent.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

versusqc

#3: Post by versusqc »

DaMaDo wrote:About 5kg for me also, seems to still be getting a little better at 7kg also

I made this PF stand for direct dosing. Works with the decent PF at least. I wanted to put it in the same position each time without thinking. It doesn't move at all when putting the PF in and out, which is nice too.
any chance to make the file available for that?

beancrusher

#4: Post by beancrusher »

That portafilter stand does look great. I take it you weren't a fan of the magic tumbler workflow, any particular reasons why?

DaMaDo (original poster)

#5: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

Thanks, I'm printing one without the bottom area for non-decent, straight-handled PFs (as some are a couple of mm deeper) and to make sure it prints/works ok. The decent version is a pretty tight fit.

I'll test this next one with a Rocket PF. I have the angled-handle Pesado PF and definitely does not work. It can sit on top, but not sure if even the short funnel works. I don't have one to try.

For this next version I also angled the top part of the PF rails 2.5 degrees to make it easier to slide in, as well as added a fillet to the top rail entrance.

It will take 7 hours to print, and if it works out ok, I'll post it.

My main concern is how the front end grip on the Key base holds up. If it doesn't, I'll add a thin bottom.

Below is what I'm printing now.

DaMaDo (original poster)

#6: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

beancrusher wrote:That portafilter stand does look great. I take it you weren't a fan of the magic tumbler workflow, any particular reasons why?
Workflow is simpler this way (plus less to clean) and I was doing WDT anyway even with the magic tumbler.

DaMaDo (original poster)

#7: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

Ok, I posted three versions to thingiverse.

One is only for decent PFs, which is the one with the tall base. The other two should work with most other straight-handled PFs.

One of those is completely open and one has a hex pattern in case your prints aren't working with the fully open one (or you just like the hex).

steelval3

#8: Post by steelval3 »

DaMaDo wrote:Ok, I posted three versions to thingiverse.
This is awesome - thank you so much!

uxdinosaur

#9: Post by uxdinosaur »

I know nothing about 3D printing. Can I easily get a quote for the cost of printing this? I have a Decent PF.

DaMaDo (original poster)

#10: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

If you're on the diaspora, DM me and I can probably just send you one for shipping cost. I've printed a bunch trying small changes. Eventually I may have them printed in resin, which is completely smooth and also matte finish.
Just search for Direct dosing with the Key Grinder on diaspora and you'll see my post there with the prints.