3-D printed portafilter holder for Weber Workshops Key grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DaMaDo (original poster)

#21: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

Jessipoo wrote:oh you can leave the decent funnel on the 3D printed piece so you just slide the portafilter in/out? That's pretty slick of a workflow
Not really, I just store it there. You get a tall volcano shape so it would spill if you try to pull only the PF out.

DaMaDo (original poster)

#22: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

Ordered a version in resin for those who want to see the difference. The resin version is of course a lot smoother and weighs about 2.5 times the regular FDM version, so it has a nice heft to it. The "black" resin as you can see looks pretty grey, so needs to be sprayed black - which is fine because resin tends to change color over time, so spraying it black will prevent that.

tglodjo

#23: Post by tglodjo »

Ooh, that looks nice. Mind sharing where/how you purchased a resin version? Feel free to PM me if needed.

DaMaDo (original poster)

#24: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

I tried craftcloud3d.com and used seller "IN3DTEC". They had a coupon for free shipping too which saved $28.

Mine came out perfect, but someone else ordered one and theirs had size issues. The finish looks different too.

Not sure if they went through the same seller or if IN3DTEC has sub-contractors and I just got lucky with a good one.
Now I'm paranoid to order something else until I find out if it was the same seller.

You can play it safe with Xometry or Shapeways, but they are like 3-4 times the price.

Edit: Ok they used 3D for me studio in Portland, OR. So avoid that seller. IN3DTEC is the way to go. They were 5 days faster too.

If the machines aren't set up properly (and it's easy not to), the parts can come out warped or different scale. If you're making figurines, who cares, but for parts that are meant to be used and interface with others, proper set up is vital to ensure dimensional accuracy.

Gpinch1

#25: Post by Gpinch1 »

I contacted Weber to see if they were considering making a portafilter holder for the Key. They said use the Decent one.

I have a Strietman so I need something that works with 49mm.

The 3D printed holder you made looks great.

There is certainly a market for some type of adjustable width arms for holding a portafilter, like on a Kafatek

DaMaDo (original poster)

#26: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

Thanks, yeah the decent would be easiest if it could accommodate smaller PFs.

I can probably make something that connects to this, but the sworksdesign part is pricey.

It would also need to use the shaft holes to bolt down into the 3D printed material to reduce the moment arm into the plastic/resin material though.

Gpinch1

#27: Post by Gpinch1 »

Thanks for the feedback.
The Sworksdesign is perhaps more complicated than is functionally required.

RadArcade

#28: Post by RadArcade »

This is super cool. I prefer grinding directly into the portafilter like this. Will it work with a La Marzocco bottomless portafilter?

DaMaDo (original poster)

#29: Post by DaMaDo (original poster) »

If it's a straight handle and not angled much, it should. I'd print a cheap version first to ensure fit and function before splurging for the resin one though.

Jrodanapolis

#30: Post by Jrodanapolis »

Any chance someone with an LM portafilter has given this a try? Looks like an awesome solution if it will work.