2020 Coffee Grinder Showdown

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeemmichael

#1: Post by coffeemmichael »

EK43s vs Max, Ultra, Versalab M3, Niche, Ode

(EK just for size comparison)

PLEASE NOTE--- this video is titled "overview" and is intentional in focus. All unnecessary information (specs, cost, aesthetics) was jettisoned in a pure evaluation of the resulting cups.

I will continue to post additional clips from this testing that will focus on some of these other hot topics.
★ Helpful

cccpu

#2: Post by cccpu »

coffeemmichael wrote: More to come.
:mrgreen: Can't wait!
LMWDP #583

Stavey

#3: Post by Stavey »

Sweet !

Quester

#4: Post by Quester »

coffeemmichael wrote:More to come.
Michael, what I like about this shootout is that you used different brew ratios.

I've been doing dozens of grinder shootouts since March with my wife and daughter as additional tasters--all shots are pulled on a DE1Pro. I've compared various combinations of: MAX, Versalab M4, Niche (now at daughter's college), Forte BG, and EG-1 (now sold). We've done this with about 40 coffees.

For the first few months, I was comparing the same recipe across grinders. But, like you, what I've realized is that some grinders tend to show better with a different profile. For example, most often the profile that suits the M4 doesn't suit the MAX quite as well. And, like you, I have found the M4 and Niche tend to show well with longer ratios than the MAX. I've found this to be a trend, but not exclusively true with all coffees. There are frequent exceptions.

Because of this, now I'll compare just two grinders and take the time to dial in the bean on each--with all parameters in play. For me, this has been a more fun and rewarding way to do grinder shootouts--and I'm getting quicker and better at dialing in shots.

Thanks for posting--awesome shootout.

LuckyMark

#5: Post by LuckyMark »

Thank You!

devlin2427

#6: Post by devlin2427 »

What's the point of comparing grinders if you're not interested in playing to their particular strengths?

JayBeck

#7: Post by JayBeck replying to devlin2427 »

But isn't that exactly why each grinder was done at various brew ratios?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

devlin2427 wrote:What's the point of comparing grinders if you're not interested in playing to their particular strengths?
Not sure what you mean, can you explain?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cccpu

#9: Post by cccpu »

devlin2427 wrote:What's the point of comparing grinders if you're not interested in playing to their particular strengths?
Maybe he is referring to the type of the burrs in each grinder in conjunction to the available RPM ranges that each grinder operates within possibly?
LMWDP #583

eltakeiteasy

#10: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Did you watch the video or just post a comment based on the picture?
LMWDP #672.