2018 Kinu M47 Settings

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lingpin

#1: Post by lingpin »

Hi all, first time posting here. I've just getting started in brewing coffee. My Kinu M47 has just arrived for a few days and I've been playing around with the settings. I ordered from the official site and have it shipped to an US address. It's the version with the 4 magnets cup.

I read a lot in the forums and also from Google, people usually settle at 4.x revolutions for the V60. My M47 gives me really coarse settings, it seems to me like V60 grinds would be in the 2-3 revolutions range. But as I've said I'm new to this, I've attached some photos of the grinds below, is it comparable to your M47? I'm really confused now. Please share your settings too for french press, pour over, aeropress, espresso, etc.

1 Revolution:

2 Revolutions:

3 Revolutions:

4 Revolutions:

I have another problem with my M47 and I think it's not supposed to be like this. The anti-rotation knob part has slipped while I was grinding some coffee, it can now be detached from the main body. I've sent an email to Kinu as well but I'll have to wait for their reply after the weekend.

renatoa

#2: Post by renatoa »

The settings in Kinu grinders say nothing to anyone other than the owner, because the zero point is random, and not specified anywhere.
The first batched respected the popular convention to have zero mark where burrs touch, but after a period they made this strange decision to deliver grinders with burrs set not touching at zero, and unknown start reference.
It is supposed that a smart guy tried to turn the grinder with a powerful drill machine, having the burrs touching, destroying the burrs, was the factor to led to this decision.
Things are even more confusing if we know there are batches having 0.75 mm screw pitch, and others with 0.5 mm, as is the most recent production.

So all you have to do is experiment.
However, there is a visual clue that can help you, valid for all grinders.
Try small quantities of different settings, until you the chaff flakes start to disappear, you no more see them distinct white flakes with long shape, but they hide in the mass of grounds.
This is a "turning point" of grinding, located just above of the espresso range.
For my Kinu sample, 0.75 mm pitch, well tuned sample, I mean with burrs locking at mark zero, this chaff melting into grounds happens at 1.6, and espresso is between 1.2 and 1.3, i.e. one turn and 2-3-6 major ticks. Aeropress is somewhere in the 2.4-2.8 ballpark, and V60 even coarse, into three turns.
For a 0.5 mm pitch unit, multiply the above figures by 1.5.

lingpin (original poster)

#3: Post by lingpin (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply! I've taken the grinder apart and measured the screw pitch, it's defintely 0.5 mm.

I've also tried to find the point where the white chaff melts. However, I'm just not sure when it's considered melted. Does the 1.0 from the above photos considered melted? And the 2.0 ones are still in "long" shape?

renatoa

#4: Post by renatoa »

Yep, in the 2.0 picture definitely they can be seen white/tan, distinct from dark grounds.

Does yours lock at zero setting? Or, if not, are you able to grind at zero, and how far is the result from flour ?

Another hint to evaluate ground: for 0.5 mm screw pitch the burrs distance increase about 0.2 mm by turn for the first turn, then more, 0.25-0.3 mm.
So if we look at particle distribution graphs, where V60 is drawn as having a maximum between 0.6-0.8 mm particle size, this led us also to 3 turns ballpark.

The best would be to have/borrow a sieve system and find for your own Kinu copy the setting that give you the optimal distribution.

Or drink a lot and enjoy each time what you get, is hard to imagine a bad cup with Kinu, and good coffee :)

namelessone

#5: Post by namelessone »

If you have a Kruve or can borrow one, aim for something between 10-13% of total weight passing under 400um. Other than that, your best bet is trying different grinds and seeing what tastes best. :)

Mbb

#6: Post by Mbb »

You can't go by what anybody says. Go by taste that you like

The grind size you need will vary based on bed depth and how much your Brewing at one time. This is because water flow slower through a deeper bed than it does through a smaller. So somebody making a 10g batch can get by with a finer grind than you need if you're making 30 G batch. The degree of roast also affects the grind size you get as well with lighter roast coming out coarser than darker roast.

Almost universally I do not make pour over with as fine of a grind as you see on videos and such, Or in instructions for grinders. It results in less than desirable flavor profiles for me in many cases. But it depends on the water temperature and the time you use as well.

Experiment and settle on what you like that's all that counts. Unless you're brewing for other people. Then do what they like. :wink:

Yeah that top part isn't supposed to come off the KINU. I'm sure it can just slip back on and probably a dad the super glue hold it forever and ever but it shouldn't have come off. I actually figured it was probably machined in one piece I guess I was wrong

lingpin (original poster)

#7: Post by lingpin (original poster) »

Thanks all! I've been experimenting a lot throughout the weekend. Going by my limited experience with good coffee and also without a Kruve, I'm settling with the below settings. With single origins washed Guatemalan and washed Ethiopian coffees.

2.2 to 2.1 for pour overs, 11 g coffee (I tried 22 g as well, 2.1 seems a bit too fine, a little astringent but not bitter though), 1:16 brew ratio, 94 degrees Celsius water.

1.5 for aeropress, 15 g coffee, 1:15, inverted, 85 degrees water, 70 s immersion + 45 s press time. I think I can go with an even finer ground but I haven't gotten there yet.

Based on the above settings, either I'm used to over extracted coffee..? Or my M47 is calibrated to be much coarser at 0.0 than others... :|

Base on you guys' experiences looking at grind photos above, do you think I'm grinding too fine (or like my coffee finer than others)?

I don't have access to an espresso machine right now but I bought one on eBay and it's currently in a service centre. If I'm grinding at around the correct size range above, back calculating from renatoa's settigs (1.2-1.5 turns from espresso to aeropress grind with 0.75 screw pitch); I suspect my Kinu won't grind a fine enough ground for espresso use.

renatoa

#8: Post by renatoa »

Already asked about your last statement worry:

"...are you able to grind at zero, and how far is the result from flour ?"

This should give some clue if it is espresso capable.

You can even experiment this capability with Aeropress, I am preparing daily espresso style coffee, grinding as for espresso, 1.4 more exactly, tamping... yeah tamping inside aeropress :) manufactured a cylinder suitable for this task... double filter, metal + paper, pushed with at least 50 kg, to have the minimum two bars pressure enough for espresso, but without cream... the result should please you :)

bas

#9: Post by bas »

1. just turn without force until burrs are touching.
2. now check if zero is zero on the dial as well.
3. if not remove the upper screw that fixates the turning handle and remove the bar as well.
4. no adjust so the mark points to zero.
5. reassemble and ready.

Of espresso I suggest starting at 1.8-2.0 for a 0.5 mm thread grinder.

For V60 or Kalita 4.0-5.0. Aeropress a bit finer.

Adjust by taste!

John49

#10: Post by John49 »

Bas, your procedure does not adjust the zero, it only opens the burrs the amount of the offset. My zero is at -0.3 (aligned with the 7) and when I adjust to zero it opens the burrs by 0.3 turns.