1Zpresso ZP6 Special: The ZP6 is back - Page 35

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jesscccc

#341: Post by Jesscccc »

I have been using commandante c40 for over a year and just got my new kinu m47 classic and zp6 special a few days ago.
Here is my initial thought on zp6 special:
With the using on flat bottom drrpper (kalita 155), it produced a sweet and high clarity cup of coffee consistently. Body is good but not strong with medium long finishing. No astringency or bitterness even no matter how messy I pour the water unless I grind too fine (anything below 4.5 is not good at all).
On the other hand, it is obviously less "juicy", less acidity and less floral than using c40.
Zp6 special is surprisingly good at grinding light roast coffee bean, nearly as good as m47 classic. I really do have a lot of bad sweaty grinding experience on c40.

I think zp6 special is good at its price range, i got mine at around $170 usd from Taiwan including shipping cost.
Easy to produce a sweet and high clarity cup, which is exactly what I look for a second grinder.
But if you want something juicy, maybe this is not the only one grinder to look for.

maartendejager

#342: Post by maartendejager »

As a FYI for curious buyers:

I'm having a pretty negative shipping experience with 1Zpresso's ZP6. I was also curious and ordered the grinder for $199 shipped (approx €182). Currently it's on it's way, but DHL is asking for €88.05 total import fees. This should be approximately €50 in fees and duties.

This is due to two things:
  • "Advance Fees" DHL is askin[g for, which total to €26. I don't know why 1Zpresso is using this expense (for me) shipping method.
  • 1Zpresso has listed shipping as free on the shipping invoice ("USD 199 and FCA to be exact), DHL is calculating import taxes with a fictitious shipping cost of 94.35 USD.
1Zpresso is not acknowledging any flaw on their end, so I doubt they will ship grinders in a more financially predictable way. I'm currently seeing if I can return the grinder without any further costs (it's not landed yet), but it looks like that won't be possible.

So just as a "buyer beware": This grinder could cost you almost 150% of the price listed in the shop.

iBrew

#343: Post by iBrew »

sounds more like a problem around DHL and expensive government policies on import taxes than an issue caused by 1Zpresso...
★ Helpful

pj.walczak

#344: Post by pj.walczak »

I received mine yesterday, Poland.
50 EUR tax to pay (VAT).
A lot depends on the agency, you can probably call the agency and ask the to recalculate.
Not sure what is advanced fee, for the shipment cost, they are overestimating this (but they have to estimate if not specified on invoice).
The best would be to ask 1zpresso for invoice with the real shipping cost specified.
---

Pawel

maartendejager

#345: Post by maartendejager »

I agree that it's an issue with DHL, it seems like a scammy process. But I have no say in the shipping carrier or type of shipping chosen.

I've asked 1Zpresso for an explanation, but they apparently think it's fine that DHL charges this extra fee, and also don't think it's their responsibility that they didn't specify shipping costs.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can pay the scam fee, or have the package sent back to 1Zpresso with no recourse if they refuse to receive it (the grinder would be destroyed, and funds lost). If they would receive it, I would likely be liable for the return shipping costs.

I'm not saying that this is typical for all orders, just that there is a possibility you have bad luck like me. 1Zpresso does not seem very interested in helping out or taking it to heart any lessons from this and preventing this from happening in the future.

Iceman2913

#346: Post by Iceman2913 »

I don't think there is anything like the ZP6 maybe besides the 078 stuff.

It reminds me of the Gen 2 burrs in how it's hard to make a bad cup.

Newdent

#347: Post by Newdent »

They just added a magnetic catch cup to the x-pro, I hope they do the same to the zp6

bringyoutomyhell

#348: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

maartendejager wrote:I agree that it's an issue with DHL, it seems like a scammy process. But I have no say in the shipping carrier or type of shipping chosen.

I've asked 1Zpresso for an explanation, but they apparently think it's fine that DHL charges this extra fee, and also don't think it's their responsibility that they didn't specify shipping costs.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can pay the scam fee, or have the package sent back to 1Zpresso with no recourse if they refuse to receive it (the grinder would be destroyed, and funds lost). If they would receive it, I would likely be liable for the return shipping costs.

I'm not saying that this is typical for all orders, just that there is a possibility you have bad luck like me. 1Zpresso does not seem very interested in helping out or taking it to heart any lessons from this and preventing this from happening in the future.
Hi there, was there an option to dispute the fee from DHL given their wrong assumption? And did you accept the grinder in the end? I'm in the same boat being in Europe.. but didn't buy it yet

Bob_McBob

#349: Post by Bob_McBob »

I hadn't bought a new hand grinder for many years, so I splurged on the ZP6 when Rogue Wave got them in recently. Definitely a nicely made grinder that's a real pleasure to use, and the results in the cup for pourover are quite good compared to the many grinders I have kicking around with 38mm and 47mm Italmill burrs.

As with many hand grinders I've tried over the years, the hopper and catch cup capacities are not well matched, and many doses that fit fine in the hopper will back up into the burrs in the catch up, causing very uneven grind at the end. This includes stuff in the rated "30-35g" doses range. I tend to grind 36g doses a lot since I make two cups together, and the ZP6 would be perfect if the catch cup were just a tiny bit larger, which is unfortunately a common issue for me with hand grinders.

I got my ZP6 in the dark grey finish which looks really sharp, but having seen how it wears around the catch cup attachment point due to not having a gasket, I kind of wish I went with the silver.
Chris

Iceman2913

#350: Post by Iceman2913 »

Yea. I got the silver due to the material being prone to show damage.