1Zpresso ZP6 Special: The ZP6 is back - Page 21

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
creos

#201: Post by creos »

This is costing me so much time and money...

Compared to my $20 Amazon hand grinder with ceramic burrs, ZP6 is eye opening for me. FYI. burr touch @ 1 from the factory on mine.

I am still trying to learn under vs over extracted but I have found the ZP6 quite pleasing with Aeropress.

Also just bought an Ode gen 2 AND they didnt have stock with the SSP so I bought a set online. OMG
Installed the SSP and did a quick comparison to the stock gen 2 burrs and I was upset that I couldn't tell the difference visually or tasting.

Anybody on here compare gen 2 burrs with SSP? Already watched Coffee Nerd's YT clip...

Take Care

syc

#202: Post by syc »

creos wrote: Also just bought an Ode gen 2 AND they didnt have stock with the SSP so I bought a set online. OMG
Installed the SSP and did a quick comparison to the stock gen 2 burrs and I was upset that I couldn't tell the difference visually or tasting.
How well aligned are the SSP burrs on your Ode and what kind of coffee were you grinding?

iyayy

#203: Post by iyayy »

good grinder helps you learn brew and extract good flavors, but wont magically produce flavors that doesnt exist.

ssp mp should obviously taste different.
if you can taste ceramic vs zp6, u can taste mp.
unless its cast, which pulls a more similar profile, and its benefits is more on how it produce the cup.
however i dont have zp6 or ode v2, cant comment there.

despite that, with just 1zpresso k burr, you are already getting most flavors and clarity out (unlike ceramic).
thats why its often said hand grinders is best value for the cup.
from here on its already a difference of which is more or less, and balanced for your palate or the beans.

also if you are still not using good roasted beans, there's only just nitpicking benefits of going more. also SO are more consistent than blends.
and finding good roasters with good beans isnt easy or cheap.

myself i went thru avg of 5-8 different bags of 200g every month from many different roasters, and still doing it.
after more than a year, theres only like 3-4 roasters i return to for my beans since they are consistent, good tasting, and worth their price. for these the ssp easily showcase better flavors. heck even without ssp the notes can be obvious enough despite being very muddy, provided of course, you are brewing correctly.

also expensive beans can taste bad. i've had $40 100g SO beans that taste worse than starbucks, and some very excellent $10 200g SO beans from one of my local roasters.

good luck.

creos

#204: Post by creos »

I have not explored alignment yet. It was Onyx Southern Weather. 200° RO water. In order to truly compare I will have to buy another Ode to have side by side.

Yesterday morning I brewed a Stumptown Aeropress with the zp6 and it was very sweet and pleasing flavors. This morning I tried twice with the Ode gen2 burrs with similar grind size to my eye and neither cup has been that great. This is driving me nuts LOL.

creos

#205: Post by creos »

@ iyayy

Thanks for the info. Will keep after it. I have some SO on the way to mess with.

Jonk

#206: Post by Jonk »

creos wrote:This morning I tried twice with the Ode gen2 burrs with similar grind size to my eye and neither cup has been that great. This is driving me nuts LOL.
Different beans will shine with different grinders/burrs 's all. Don't take for granted that flat burrs, even those made for brew, will outperform good conical brew burrs. Still, I'm sure you can find some beans you'll prefer with the Ode gen2.. For my own part I tend to prefer the SSP brew over the 1Zpresso K-Max, but for some beans and even brew methods the tables are turned. Having access to more than one expression is a boon in the end.

Hugonl28

#207: Post by Hugonl28 »

Is this ZP6 any good for AeroPress with relatively fine grind and medium roast beans, looking for maximum sweetness, already ordered the X-Pro, will the ZP6 add anything? Less astringency with darker roasts or just more watery?

Acavia

#208: Post by Acavia »

creos wrote: Also just bought an Ode gen 2 AND they didnt have stock with the SSP so I bought a set online. OMG
I bought an Ode 2 that I returned. First problem, it had the SSP burrs installed incorrectly ("fixed" one on the auger), but installing your own you would not have that problem.

A second problem, and the one that made me return the Ode 2, was it did not hold settings. After correcting the SSP burrs positions, I checked calibration following the Fellow provided iinstructions (remove face plate and dial, then manually turn the gears to chirp, then back off X clicks to set "1" point.) In that process, I noticed that the settings drifted.

I saw the drifting visually, and heard it. For example, with front dial off, turning the gears with my hands, I would find the chirp point, and then move it 5 settings off chirp. Then before I could turn off the ode, I would see the gears move finer, and then hear the chirp again. I tested it, and it did it every time. Again, that occurred with its chamber empty. I assume the friction and opposite force from grinding beans would probably make that drifting even worse. If yours is doing that, it would make a inconsistent grind and would explain why different burr sets produce the same coffee.

creos

#209: Post by creos »

Thanks for the info.

Yan

#210: Post by Yan »

It's better to move some of this discussion to Fellow discussion :)

Fellow news and information!