1Zpresso ZP6 Special: The ZP6 is back - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EvanOz85

#191: Post by EvanOz85 »

braxtonjens wrote:Then do your own reviews on YT, and do your own interviews if you are unsatisfied with the content of those who are working hard to produce.
Are you saying that if you don't make your own content, you can't have an opinion of others content? Ok. Lol.
Guess we can't criticize any coffee if we don't grow our own as well.
Can't critIcize any gear if we don't make our own as well.

nameisjoey

#192: Post by nameisjoey »

For those that have now spent some time with the ZP6, how would you say it fares compared to... say the comandante? A fellow Ode with gen 2 burrs? Would I notice a big difference moving from a Lido 3? Or would I be better off going to a Gen 2 Ode with SSP if searching for clarity/brightness?

Yan

#193: Post by Yan »

+1 I have similar questions how big is the improvement from the existing <500$ brew grinder ...

pawesen

#194: Post by pawesen »

I've had the ZP6 for about a month now and have done a couple dozens of brews using several different drippers. Compared to C40, I'd say the biggest difference is being able to grind finer and extract higher without hitting astringency and losing as much clarity. I think the ZP6 also has a wider range that produces good cups, the c40 becomes muddy and astringent more easily and doesn't extract as high at coarser grind settings that provide more clarity. The ZP6 produces cups with lower body, higher clarity and shorter finish. The differences are noticeable but not striking, I probably wouldn't recommend ditching one for the other one.
Having gone through a good amount of hand grinders, I agree with Lance's comment about it being the SSP MP of hand grinders. This doesn't mean ZP6 is like SSP MP though, there's still a pretty big gap in terms of clarity and flavor intensity. I haven't owned and ode but assuming it's well aligned, I definitely wouldn't consider ZP6 in upgrade in terms of the cup quality.

nameisjoey

#195: Post by nameisjoey replying to pawesen »

Appreciate your input. For clarity purposes, I'm looking to potentially upgrade from a Lido 3 & Pharos 2.0 for a brew only grinder. The options I'm considering are a ZP6, C40, or an Ode Gen 2. The ZP6 is attractive due to price but I'm wondering if I would even notice a big difference compared to my lido or if I would have to jump to flats to really notice.

pawesen

#196: Post by pawesen »

Don't have any experience with these 2 grinders so can't comment on how noticeable the differences would be but I'd say all 3 grinders you're looking at are already on a higher end of clarity. If you don't need portability, only care about filter, and want to maximize clarity, I'd say ode gen 2 with SSP MP burrs is the best out of those 3.

Yan

#197: Post by Yan »

By memories I don't think from Lido 3 to C40 a big jump upgrade in the cups, C40 maybe have a brighter and complexity in cup, for clarity pretty much the same but this just from memories not side by side comparison, the benefits upgrade to C40 are simpler grind adjustment, compact and easier to maintenance (less parts when cleanings), both C40 and Lido 3 were not in the same league as Apex in clarity but as you know the Apex are PITA in user experience :)

syc

#198: Post by syc »

nameisjoey wrote: For clarity purposes, I'm looking to potentially upgrade from a Lido 3 & Pharos 2.0 for a brew only grinder. The options I'm considering are a ZP6, C40, or an Ode Gen 2. The ZP6 is attractive due to price but I'm wondering if I would even notice a big difference compared to my lido or if I would have to jump to flats to really notice.
I think its been mentioned in this thread, but getting the ZP6 is not going to provide 64mm SSP flat burr levels of clarity. It has more clarity than other hand grinders, which my coworker and I were able to notice in side by side tasting, but I wouldn't call it a night and day difference. I think Lance got himself a lot of buzz with the the clickbait headline of "SSP of Hand grinders", but it set up a false expectation that it would be on the same level of clarity as an SSP burr. Here is "Coffee Chronicler" addressing precisely this question about the ZP6 at timecode 1345s:

malling

#199: Post by malling »

syc wrote:I think its been mentioned in this thread, but getting the ZP6 is not going to provide 64mm SSP flat burr levels of clarity. It has more clarity than other hand grinders, which my coworker and I were able to notice in side by side tasting, but I wouldn't call it a night and day difference. I think Lance got himself a lot of buzz with the the clickbait headline of "SSP of Hand grinders", but it set up a false expectation that it would be on the same level of clarity as an SSP burr. Here is "Coffee Chronicler" addressing precisely this question about the ZP6 at timecode 1345s:
video
I think people confuse what Lance meant with that remark. He means that it delivers the best most pronounced Clarity and flavour separation among the hand-grinders just as SSP dos among flat burrs, but it's not the same as it delivers the same clarity as those SSP burrs.

Hugonl28

#200: Post by Hugonl28 »

Quick question: what would be the best 1ZPresso grinder for AeroPress specifically? I enjoy medium roast with a lot of sweetness and chocolate notes, but also some fruitier light roasts, I tend to grind finer than most people, to get some body and sweetness. Can the ZP6 do medium roast full body AeroPress and still produce sweetness or will it be watery? I just ordered the X-Pro because it seems like a nice allrounder, but starting to read a lot about all the different grinders 1ZPresso has and now considering expanding my collection, maybe the K-Ultra? Or rather the J series? Or really this apparent king of cleanness, the ZP6?

In short:
-only use AeroPress
-medium roast, chocolate, lots of sweetness
-also occasional juicy, clean, lighter roast, but without astringency
What grinder from the 1ZPresso lineup?