1Zpresso JX, JE, Q2, and Flair Royal comparison test

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BuzzedLightyear

#1: Post by BuzzedLightyear »

The explosion of quality coffee hand grinders really has taken off as of late. So I bought a bunch to compare them. I'll try to sum them up without being superfluous

Grinding speed with 16 grams of coffee for espresso

JX took about 20 seconds

JE took about 25 seconds

Flair Royal about 30 seconds

Q2 took about 40 seconds

Get the JX if you really enjoy acidity

Get the JE (before it's discontinued) for traditional creamy and balanced espresso

Get the q2 for a tiny travel grinder that fits inside the Aeropress. Plus the small size makes it very easy to hold

Get the flair royal for its easy grind adjustments but the build quality is not as high as the 1zpresso, but it does brew a nice cup of coffee

By far the JE is my favorite, I might pick up another before it's discontinued

Nwin23

#2: Post by Nwin23 »

Are you talking about the JE Plus when you mention the JE? Asking because I started searching for that grinder and the Plus is all I could come up with. Some people on reddit mention a minute+ to grind 18g.

Where did you buy the JE from?

Also, any amplifying info on why the JX makes more acidic whereas the JE makes a balanced cup?

I have a Kinu Phoenix 47 and can grind 18g for espresso in about 40 seconds for a medium roast. I've been thinking about a JX Pro because of the faster speed and I can probably sell the Phoenix for more than the cost of the HX Pro.

Thanks for the review!

cap2

#3: Post by cap2 »

I had a JX and replaced with a JE. JE is much better than JX for espresso, but slower and has no benefit for drip or even moka pot. I gave mine to my brother who uses a moka pot. I don't have recorded times, but thought the difference was much more than 5 seconds. You might just move your hand faster than me. I am over a minute for 18 grams very fine with a JE. I think it's worth it.

It would be a shame if JE is going to be discontinued. Looks to be available direct from 1ZPresso, but not from Amazon.
https://1zpresso.coffee/product/je/

cap2

#4: Post by cap2 »

AFAIK JE Plus will likely grind the same or better than a regular JE: same 47mm burrs but in the nicer body with magnetic base and easier adjustment. JE Plus also a higher price, but you can get it from Amazon, so shipping will be cheap or free. Base JE only direct from 1ZPresso, so you pay shipping from Taiwan.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

cap2 wrote:JE is much better than JX for espresso
I'm curious, what makes it "better" for you and for what roast levels?

BuzzedLightyear (original poster)

#6: Post by BuzzedLightyear (original poster) »

Nwin23 wrote:Are you talking about the JE Plus when you mention the JE? Asking because I started searching for that grinder and the Plus is all I could come up with. Some people on reddit mention a minute+ to grind 18g.

Where did you buy the JE from?

Also, any amplifying info on why the JX makes more acidic whereas the JE makes a balanced cup?

I have a Kinu Phoenix 47 and can grind 18g for espresso in about 40 seconds for a medium roast. I've been thinking about a JX Pro because of the faster speed and I can probably sell the Phoenix for more than the cost of the HX Pro.

Thanks for the review!
I am using the standard JE. I was concerned with slower grind times, but did not find that to be the case

I bought it directly from 1zpresso

The JX and JE uses different burrs....the JE uses the same Italian burrs found in the Kinu. I would only get the JX if you want more acidity in the cup. Which I don't

Nwin23

#7: Post by Nwin23 replying to BuzzedLightyear »

Hey, great to know-thank you!

So I guess the only unknown for me is whether the J-Max with its 48mm burrs would be better/faster/different than the kinu's 47mm burr.

cap2

#8: Post by cap2 »

@Jeff: Totally the right question to my totally subjective post :)
I'll try to clarify:
It looks like the same adjustment mechanism on both JX and JE, but the "teeth" on the JE burrs are finer
Results are:
  • less clumping at finer grinds.
  • easier to make adjustments at finer grinds with the JE. On the JX I felt like i needed at least one more click between clicks to properly dial in, On the JE, I feel I have more than enough clicks.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

Thanks!

Not questioning, just trying to understand your insights

I've got a JX-Pro and I find the increments acceptable for espresso dial in, but not great. I think I'd be frustrated without those additional steps (on a "plain" JX).

ojt

#10: Post by ojt »

Jeff wrote:I've got a JX-Pro and I find the increments acceptable for espresso dial in, but not great. I think I'd be frustrated without those additional steps (on a "plain" JX).
This may be also a question of personal preference or something. Example: Many seem happy with the Comandante clicks even for espresso, but I would be a bit lost without the the essentially stepless settings on the Kinu. You don't always need them but if you really need to fine tune, you can.
Osku