1Zpresso JE Plus - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Urupackers

#81: Post by Urupackers »

L&R wrote:No it is about burrs geometry, I grind very fast with JX but I have to put lots of force in grinding while grinders w Italmill burrs are slower but need less efforts. To be honest I like aggressive geometry on JX more though.
Ohh, thanks for the aclaration, good to know what is the difference. :)

GregoryJ
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by GregoryJ »

Urupackers wrote:It's like the JE plus is a little slow, I have the Jx Pro, and I grind for espresso 16 grams of medium roasted beans in 30 seconds, maybe the coated burrs make it slow, because the two grinders have 48 mm burrs.
L&R wrote:No it is about burrs geometry, I grind very fast with JX but I have to put lots of force in grinding while grinders w Italmill burrs are slower but need less efforts. To be honest I like aggressive geometry on JX more though.
I think some of it is the coating. I have a BPlus Apollo and was using it side by side with the JE-plus for some time. They are supposed to have the same 47mm italmill burr set. Yet, the Apollo took ~30 seconds for 18g while the JE-plus took ~60 seconds.

Urupackers

#83: Post by Urupackers » replying to GregoryJ »

Ahh, good, because this I love more and more my Jx Pro :lol:

spressomon
Supporter ♡

#84: Post by spressomon »

GregoryJ wrote:I think some of it is the coating. I have a BPlus Apollo and was using it side by side with the JE-plus for some time. They are supposed to have the same 47mm italmill burr set. Yet, the Apollo took ~30 seconds for 18g while the JE-plus took ~60 seconds.
The JE Plus and the Apollo utilize different burr sets.

The JE Plus uses "ITALMILL 47MM COATING BURR": https://www.1zpresso.co/j-series

The JX Pro uses "48mm stainless steel conical burrs"

The K Plus might utilize the same burr set as the Apollo(?) as it grinds considerably faster than the JE Plus. Arya from 1Zpresso e-mailed me, when I inquired about the difference between the burr sets they use in the JE Plus and the K Plus, the K Plus uses "48mm stainless-steel heptagonal conical burr".

The Apollo ("Italmill 48mm conical with nanotech coating"): https://www.bplus.biz/products/apollo-m ... tributor-1
No Espresso = Depresso

GregoryJ
Supporter ♡

#85: Post by GregoryJ »

spressomon wrote:The JE Plus and the Apollo utilize different burr sets.
Interesting. When I look at the Italmill website, I actually cannot find any 47mm conical burr sets, only 48mm.

I'm pretty sure the K-pro/plus burrs are a new creation from 1ZPresso, advertised for excellent filter grinds and pretty good espresso grinds.

dak

#86: Post by dak »

For espresso, I found the K-plus to be a bit of chore to grind with light roasted beans, despite the longer handle vs. the JE-plus. While it does take a little longer on the JE-plus, the action is much smoother and considerably less effort. For me, the extra 20 seconds is a good trade off.

mwynne

#87: Post by mwynne »

wkmok1 wrote:I ordered a JE-Plus directly from 1Zpresso week and it got to my home early this morning. Shipping was $25 US and taxes came to $36 CA. The build quality is very nice. The alternating North/South magnets are brilliant. I ground some instant rice to clean the burrs of machining oils, and then 3 doses of beans. I only have one piece of advice. Grinding coffee with the plug of the catch-cup uninstalled in not a good idea :oops:
Winston, good to hear that. I'm over in Victoria and considering ordering, but was wondering how much extra with shipping and import fees it would be...

hairyco

#88: Post by hairyco »

dak wrote:For espresso, I found the K-plus to be a bit of chore to grind with light roasted beans, despite the longer handle vs. the JE-plus. While it does take a little longer on the JE-plus, the action is much smoother and considerably less effort. For me, the extra 20 seconds is a good trade off.
How did you find the taste between the K-plus and JE-plus for lighter roasted beans for espresso?

dak

#89: Post by dak » replying to hairyco »

I didn't do enough side by side testing to be able to really give a strong opinion, but to me, the shots tasted more similar than different, if that makes sense. Not a huge difference between them at espresso fineness, with maybe a slight edge to the JE-Plus? The JE-Plus was worse in the pourover/aeropress fineness though and it definitely seemed to produce more fines at those settings than the K-Plus. I will say it was noticeably harder to grind lighter roasts on the K-Plus.

hairyco

#90: Post by hairyco » replying to dak »

Was it difficult to grind lighter roasts for pour over and aeropress with the K-Plus?
I'm struggling between which to order.
Also wondering if the Kinu pour over burr would fit the JE-Plus if they use the same 47mm Italmil burrs.