1Zpresso JE Plus - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spressomon
Supporter ♡

#71: Post by spressomon »

3-days after order placement I had the JE-Plus in hand! Communication with Arya was quick, informative and consistent.

A couple quick comments: I would prefer a grippier silicone or similar surface instead of the wood veneer. Another inch longer grip area would also be better for me. Grind effort is easy even with a medium-light roast I have on hand. Using a Makita cordless drill/driver makes it considerably faster (and easier).

Like the opposing magnets but the little dosing tool with its silicone sealing o-ring needs refinement; IMHO as its cumbersome to use with the o-ring. Methinks magnets would make it super slick too. I like the solid "click" of the grind setting adjuster wheel.

Nice padded case, even if the velcro type strap is a little cumbersome/not fully baked. The case, since I intend to use this grinder ala camping & all things mobile use, was a real factor in my purchase decision.

Looking forward to putting it through some paces apart of an off-road trip we have coming up next week. Will be making 4-6 shots in the morning and a couple each afternoon.
No Espresso = Depresso

GregoryJ

#72: Post by GregoryJ »

spressomon wrote: A couple quick comments:
Hi Dan, I agree with you on pretty much all accounts! (Except about the drill, because I never tried one). I only have the K-pro right now because I like the diameter more and wanted something for filter coffee, but man I miss that catch cup and carrying case.

wkmok1

#73: Post by wkmok1 »

I've never had a hand grinder before, so I get very nervous whenever there is even the tiniest slip in the hand gripping the body. Trying to maintain a Vulcan death grip gets rather tiring. Doesn't help that I have small hands. Still learning to get more relaxed and tolerate the feeling of a tiny slippages. Seems to help if I wet my left hand before gripping the body. Glad that the wood veneer is actually some form of vinyl material; otherwise, I would not dare wet it.
Winston

spressomon
Supporter ♡

#74: Post by spressomon »

Day 2 of putting the JE Plus to the test on our off-road explore this week. It works great with the handle and with Makita drill power!

No Espresso = Depresso

thecatch33

#75: Post by thecatch33 »

What kind of grind speeds are you all seeing with JE Plus? On 27 (2 rotations and at #7) it's taking me about 170 cranks and 90+ seconds to grind 18g. Seems a bit long compared with a couple of reports here so curious if that is normal. My beans are a pretty dark roast, not sure if that plays a role. This is my first hand grinder so don't really have a good frame of reference for comparison.

wkmok1

#76: Post by wkmok1 »

Correction : I am at setting 22 (not 20). Takes about 70s to do 14g. Your numbers sound reasonable.
Winston

spressomon
Supporter ♡

#77: Post by spressomon »

~200 revs to get 20grams of medium to medium-dark beans ground through my JE Plus. Compared to ~60 revs using my Apollo for the same bean & weight. Both, when using my EspressoForge.
No Espresso = Depresso

Urupackers

#78: Post by Urupackers »

It's like the JE plus is a little slow, I have the Jx Pro, and I grind for espresso 16 grams of medium roasted beans in 30 seconds, maybe the coated burrs make it slow, because the two grinders have 48 mm burrs.

L&R

#79: Post by L&R » replying to Urupackers »

No it is about burrs geometry, I grind very fast with JX but I have to put lots of force in grinding while grinders w Italmill burrs are slower but need less efforts. To be honest I like aggressive geometry on JX more though.

thecatch33

#80: Post by thecatch33 »

Thanks for the responses all, really appreciate it. Good to know everyone else is in the same ballpark as well.