1Zpresso JE Plus - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
truemagellen

#11: Post by truemagellen »

LewBK wrote:I see no reason to buy this at its current price of $239 as you can get a new Comandante or Kinu for about the same amount, and they have a better reputation. However, if its price were to decline to where it was originally $189 or thereabouts, then it becomes interesting.
Yea I agree. My neighbor is trying to make a minimalist setup and feels the combined blind shaker takes away one element of his travel setup. I'm concerned the wide adjustment on this might not be espresso dialable without careful dosing which he is not as skilled in. He has another hand grinder I cant remember which one but it has been relegated to french press at his office.

LewBK (original poster)

#12: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

I'm concerned the wide adjustment on this might not be espresso dialable
That's surprising as I thought this had the Italian burrs and fairly fine adjustments like the JX Pro.

GregoryJ

#13: Post by GregoryJ »

There were several things that made me want to purchase it. (Mine is still in transit, so I can't confirm if it's everything I hoped and more yet)

Grind adjustment on the top (Comandante)
No locking / unlocking needed. (Kinu)
Grinds catch easy transfer to the portafilter (Both)
Fine adjustment for espresso (Comandante)
Magnets on grinds catch should repel off with a 1/10 turn. (Kinu)

GregoryJ

#14: Post by GregoryJ »

It looks like they another new grinder on Amazon called the K-Plus, with a different burr set and adjustment dial.
https://www.amazon.com/1Zpresso-Adjustm ... 0819Y5T2L/

baldheadracing
Team HB

#15: Post by baldheadracing »

Neat seeing that the burrset found on my five-year-old Lido2 is being used on the latest hand grinder designs. No upgrade-itis here! 8)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

truemagellen

#16: Post by truemagellen »

GregoryJ wrote:It looks like they another new grinder on Amazon called the K-Plus, with a different burr set and adjustment dial.
https://www.amazon.com/1Zpresso-Adjustm ... 0819Y5T2L/
Interesting and they sell it for $173 in Taiwan but it has an unknown burr set. More adjustment but is the adjustment useful in the espresso range I dont think so as the fineness increment described is less but this is based on crude translation unfortunately.

LewBK (original poster)

#17: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

JE Plus costs $170 on Taobao: https://world.taobao.com/item/586943933 ... 339aMwGthV Pretty ridiculous the price markup it currently has on Amazon for U.S. buyers.

bosiemoncrieff

#18: Post by bosiemoncrieff »

Just got the jx pro. Will make some coffee and see how I like it.

GregoryJ

#19: Post by GregoryJ »

I just got the JE-Plus in and ground ~100g of coffee with it. Mine came free of dings and looks very nice. I really like the kit it comes with - a soft shell carrying case, a brush, a blower (not sure I'll ever use that), a solid catch cup bottom (if you want to replace the shaker), and instructions. The instructions are actually really good, much better than the ones that came with my Feld 2 (none)! They include recommended settings for different brew methods, and I found that my espresso did fall in their recommended range.

The adjustment knob moves 12.5um per click, so it should make dialing in easy. I really like how easy it is to adjust, you just turn the knob. No unlocking or locking. Also, I really like the magnetic catch cup. It's a lot easier for me to use than the Kinu M47 one. Just a quick turn and the magnets repel the catch cup away. I think the shaker style bottom is nice. (I've never used one before). It makes for a pretty clean transfer to the basket.

The grind quality looks great so far, and I got a really tasty shot from it. However, grinding seemed to take a long time. It took 1:15 to grind through 18g of a medium dark roast. I haven't timed myself with the Bplus Apollo lately, but it seemed much longer, probably due to whatever coating is on the burrs.

I don't know how Taobao works and how much Amazon charges to hold items in stock for prime shipping, but it does seem like quite a difference. Maybe if you contact 1ZPresso and order straight from them it could be a little cheaper? However at $240, it is still priced under the Kinu M47 and the Bplus Apollo, and my first impression is that's it's right up there as one of the most user friendly and high quality hand grinders.

bosiemoncrieff

#20: Post by bosiemoncrieff »

I found the jx pro grind guide to be coarser than accurate. I attempted to grind for pour over but it was super course. Ground a bit more and turned it into a French press that was actually quite tasty. I found the grind very, very quick. Took maybe 15 seconds for the first 23g and similar for the 17g I ground subsequently. Very pleasant grinding action.

I'm sure the magnetic catch cup is more convenient than the screw on version the jx pro has. I will see how I find the grind - and inquire about whether it can be taken through TSA.