1Zpresso J-Max review - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Corradobrit
Supporter

#11: Post by Corradobrit »

8.8 micron adjustments, better aesthetics, and external adjuster ring to name 3. Higher capacity and internal bracing seems to be better.

thecatch33

#12: Post by thecatch33 »

Pressino wrote:I just got the J-Max from Amazon and just got it dialed it for some relatively dark roasted decaf espresso beans. Took about 4 tries to find the right spot after starting at the middle of the 1-Zpresso grind range. Took a bit of getting used to the very fine steps (90 per ring rotation), but wasn't that hard.

Two comments so far: 1) It is just a bit slower than the JX-Pro but is much smoother...probably the coated burrs; and 2) static is NOT eliminated in the J-Max. It's at least as much as in the JX-Pro.
Is there any indicator on the grinder to check how many full rotations you are at on J Max? That's been my issue with my JE Plus when I switch between espresso, aeropress, and pour over, I always have to count number of full rotations when switching back and forth. If it's been a few days since I last made coffee, I sometimes completely forget what setting I was at and have to re-zero the grinder and count rotations from the bottom. It's a first world problem for sure, but annoying nonetheless.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
thoang77

#13: Post by thoang77 » replying to thecatch33 »

Have you tried checking the gap in the burrs to determine how many rotations around you are? It's pretty noticeable, imo, to discern which setting you're at. For me, barely any light gets through at espresso settings and a rotation later the gap is definitely visible

Pressino

#14: Post by Pressino »

thecatch33 wrote:Is there any indicator on the grinder to check how many full rotations you are at on J Max? That's been my issue with my JE Plus when I switch between espresso, aeropress, and pour over, I always have to count number of full rotations when switching back and forth. If it's been a few days since I last made coffee, I sometimes completely forget what setting I was at and have to re-zero the grinder and count rotations from the bottom. It's a first world problem for sure, but annoying nonetheless.
Yes, there is an index mark which is shaped like a pyramid. It looks like this:
. .
. . .
. . . .
. . . . .

but the rows not as spaced out as what I was able to show here. You can see what it looks like in photos on-line. With each full rotation the setting ring descends to cover one more row of dots. It's really easy to see where you are once you've used it. BTW, mine goes just over 4.5 rotations from O to fully open. 1-Zpresso came up with a really brilliant system to let you know exactly where you are in the entire grind range just by looking. The idea is not original, it's analogous to the way you read an old style micrometer barrel. Makes me think the guys who designed it are engineers.

thecatch33

#15: Post by thecatch33 »

Pressino wrote:Yes, there is an index mark which is shaped like a pyramid. It looks like this:
. .
. . .
. . . .
. . . . .

but the rows not as spaced out as what I was able to show here. You can see what it looks like in photos on-line. With each full rotation the setting ring descends to cover one more row of dots. It's really easy to see where you are once you've used it. BTW, mine goes just over 4.5 rotations from O to fully open. 1-Zpresso came up with a really brilliant system to let you know exactly where you are in the entire grind range just by looking. The idea is not original, it's analogous to the way you read an old style micrometer barrel. Makes me think the guys who designed it are engineers.
Wow excellent! Thanks for the detailed response.

@thoang77 fair point but I switch between aeropress and pourover a fair amount depending on how much time I have in the morning, and that's harder for me to tell the difference.

kalo925

#16: Post by kalo925 »

Pressino wrote:

Two comments so far: 1) It is just a bit slower than the JX-Pro but is much smoother...probably the coated burrs; and 2) static is NOT eliminated in the J-Max. It's at least as much as in the JX-Pro.
Could you comment on transfer of the grounds from the grinder catch cup to the basket? Which is easier pro or Max? I've been using the jx pro and find I like inserting the cup threads into the basket and it's pretty easy to transfer all the grounds. With the max I'm not sure if it will be more difficult to do a similar way as there are no threads on the cup. Any feeling which is easier?

ScottinTexas
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by ScottinTexas »

Is the Max larger overall than the Pro?

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Pressino

#18: Post by Pressino »

The Max is a couple of mm taller than the Pro. The body diameter is almost exactly the same, except for the top where the Pro widens just a bit (you can see this in the photos on-line). The crank arm radius is about a cm longer in the Max (gives better leverage). The Pro weighs a few grams more than the Max, detectable on a scale but not in hand.

thecatch33

#19: Post by thecatch33 »

I ended up buying a J Max, and I have to say I'm mildly disappointed in the grinding speed. In the first couple days of using it, it is not noticeably faster than my JE Plus. Both take around 60-70 seconds to grind 16.5g of dark/city roast beans.

The grind quality remains excellent, and the adjustment mechanism is a definite step up, but was hoping for something quicker since initial reviews had J Max almost on par with JX Pro which seems to take around 35-40 seconds at espresso grind levels. I know there are many variables that go into this, but so far it has not been my experience.

Corradobrit
Supporter

#20: Post by Corradobrit »

Having both the JE and J-Max in hand I decided to return the latter. I'm not a huge fan of the magnetic grounds collector. Its very easy to dislodge if not holding the grinder correctly. Didn't actually grind anything as its going to be returned. The JE on the other hand is taking about 30-35 secs to grind 13-14g of espresso beans. Since I only drink 3 or 4 cups a day thats perfectly reasonable. Easier to rotate the handle than I expected. I'm sure I'll miss the Max's ultra-fine adjustments but the JE's is adequate for non critical extraction. I'll only be using it in a campervan so anything will beat instant coffee.