1Zpresso calibration difficulties - does it even matter?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
N1ck

#1: Post by N1ck »

Hi all,

I recently acquired a ZP6 for manual brewing having pretty much only used a c40. Though i seemed to be be somewhat perplexed by the calibration process.

So i followed the the online guide on the 1zpresso site. For starters, when I try my best to "zero" the grinder I can still tighten(go finer) the burrs 2-3 clicks past marked zero on the dial. This I think is ok?

Though what has me perplexed is that 1zpresso defines "Zero" as where the handle doesn't spin freely instead of the tightest, much like Comandante. For me, this is somewhere around 0.6 clicks, with the burrs still rubbing up to about 1.6 clicks (is this normal?*). So what is the point of having a dial indicator if marked Zero is not true zero even after calibration? I assume I'm doing something wrong here.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

*I've Spoken with other zp6 users who have said their burrs stop rubbing a bit before 1.0. I contacted 1zpresso about the burr rubbing they said its normal but why is there such big disparity between two of the same models. So Im not entirely convinced by this.

OldmatefromOZ

#2: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

Its nothing to worry about just enjoy the grinder.

For reference I get burr touch 0.6 to 0.8 and its gone at 1.0.

It is likely something to do with the design of the intended filter only burr set. I have blind cupped and brewed my way through 4.0 to 5.2. I can not see anything outside this being of much use for manual brew methods.
4.7 - 4.8 at 1:18 cupping gives vibrant juicy cups with plenty of clarity.

N1ck (original poster)

#3: Post by N1ck (original poster) »

Hmm, i may be overthinking it too much I agree. Though what is your zero point as per the 1z definition?