OEM vs. third party grinder burrs - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
quar

#21: Post by quar »

Having personally used a set of SJ knockoff burrs, IMHO, there is no comparison. At least in my case, OEM burrs are far, far, superior in quality.

IMAWriter

#22: Post by IMAWriter »

cafeIKE wrote:What Ken said.
+1
I didn't realize how much more the Major's burr set cost compared to the SJ set till I checked.
I hope the OP's Major is as good as advertised.

Advertisement
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#23: Post by RapidCoffee »

IMAWriter wrote:I didn't realize how much more the Major's burr set cost compared to the SJ set till I checked.
I hope the OP's Major is as good as advertised.
Major burrs are only $10 more than SJ burrs at CC. A Major is like a SJ on steroids. They are both excellent grinders.

Try pricing Robur burrs sometime. Talk about sticker shock. :shock:
John

IMAWriter

#24: Post by IMAWriter replying to RapidCoffee »

Funny, I forget where I saw them, but they were like $79 or something, I can get an OEM SJ set from Owen/Phaelon for much less. Chris as well.
Maybe I misread.

smillions (original poster)

#25: Post by smillions (original poster) replying to IMAWriter »

I saw burrs for the Major as high as $85. I bought mine from CC for $49. The $85 was for knock offs and the $49 was for OEM parts... go figure.

IMAWriter

#26: Post by IMAWriter replying to smillions »

:lol:

danetrainer

#27: Post by danetrainer »

Maybe someone can answer the mystery of my SJ Knockoff Duramill burrs I bought from Owen (since he never replied to my email). Here is the picture of what I have...notice the angle of the intermediate grind area, compared to the bean crushing stage:

Here is a picture of some OEM Duramills Dan posted a while back:

Note the intermediate grind angle is generally parallel to the bean crushing cut.

My thought was...is there a three phase SJ and are the burrs in the first photo for those?