Knockbox favorites - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
another_jim
Team HB

#31: Post by another_jim »

I'm with John and Ian; the 3 inch high knock box from Chris or EPNW fits in the drawer beneath the espresso counter and is quite robust.
Jim Schulman

Nik

#32: Post by Nik »

My favorite knock box is over two feet tall. It's a plastic garbage container with a plastic bag liner. Don't have to clean it out when I use it. Just grab the drawstrings and pull out. Perhaps not eco friendly but can't find anything better right now.

Advertisement
iantrevor

#33: Post by iantrevor »

I'm currently using the kitchen-trash-can method too, but I can't help but feel gross every time I knock out the puck. Luckily I'm sure the holidays will bring me a new knockbox (such is the life of a poor grad student who has chosen [or was chosen by?] a decidedly expensive hobby/obsession). For now, the trash will do.

Aaron

#34: Post by Aaron »

I am using a plastic measuring container, which would break if I hit it with the PF so I shake the PF in the air until the puck falls out. Not ideal, but it was sitting around in my kitchen without much use. Anybody want to donate a used knockbox?
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

Psyd

#35: Post by Psyd »

iantrevor wrote:I'm currently using the kitchen-trash-can method too, but I can't help but feel gross every time I knock out the puck.
Get a can with a lid, and cut the bottom of of a standard 4"x6" (ish, called a 1/9th, or 'a ninth') 4 inch deep hotel pan, or steamtable pan, and cut the bottom off of it. Drill two holes in the side, a bit of 3/8" threaded rod, two of these things*
called weld nuts, nutserts, you can use t-nuts, etc. and put one at either end of the threaded rod.
Get a piece of hose (discussed earlier) to put over it, and cut a hole the size of the pan into the lid of the garbage can. I use a grate to keep the dogs from diving, and have just cut a hole the size of my knockbox into it. I haven't emptied a knockbox in a coupla years there. I'm still too chicken to insert mine into the counter top at my house, but I've still got the same assembly, with the bottom intact, nesting in a stained wooden box.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

javabob
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by javabob »

I had a black Grindenstein, but recently upgraded to the small Reg Barber knockbox. I've since "modded" it by adding non-slip feet and lining the inside of the wood box with B-Quiet sound matting. I thought the Grindenstein was the cat's a$$, but that was because I hadn't tried anything else. The RB holds way more, is quieter, and there is less mess due to the larger surface area. Plus the wood looks better IMO than the Grindenstein.

narc

#37: Post by narc »

Bumper! Functional & durable. The size and capacity should meet the needs of most home users. The design and size keep gives it a stable base. Easy to clean. Purchased from chriscoffee when he 1st started stocking the box. At that time I picked up a spare bar cover and base. They are still sitting in storage.
LMWDP #151

Advertisement
espressme

#38: Post by espressme »

I still use a cheap one I made at home.

Original thread home made knockbox here
-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,