Digital scale deal - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
GC7

#11: Post by GC7 »

JohnB. wrote:After only a couple months of use the scale has suffered a complete meltdown so I can't really recommend this one to anybody. It survived the 30 day warranty so its dumpster food now. I think I'll move upmarket for the next one.
Ditto with mine. I posted this on another scale discussion thread but its worth mentioning again if there is a bad batch of these out on the market.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

GC7 wrote:DItto with mine. I posted this on another scale discussion thread but its worth mentioning again if there is a bad batch of these out on the market.
Saw that. I replaced mine with the Deal Extreme scale in Randy's link. Imagine what these scales must cost to produce if they can sell them for only $10 AND include shipping from Hong Kong in the price??
LMWDP 267

shadowfax

#13: Post by shadowfax »

... But I am sure they are sweatshop-free. :D

I like the "Digital Pocket Scale," but I ultimately got irritated by its auto-off and ponied up a little extra for a larger scale that has an AC-DC adapter and won't turn off when plugged in. Another upshot of the more expensive scales is that they tare and stabilize a bit faster than the pocket scales.
Nicholas Lundgaard

howard seth

#14: Post by howard seth »

I Got the Deal Extreme Scale last year; it has worked great for 9 months. It's extremely sensitive - I can hardly believe a scale this precise can cost so little.

Howard
Howie

da gino

#15: Post by da gino »

okay, okay, you win. I ordered the scale. I've resisted since I have a good 1g scale, but between the price, the size and the .1g readout I could hold out no longer. Hugh

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by JohnB. »

shadowfax wrote:... But I am sure they are sweatshop-free. :D

I like the "Digital Pocket Scale," but I ultimately got irritated by its auto-off and ponied up a little extra for a larger scale that has an AC-DC adapter and won't turn off when plugged in. Another upshot of the more expensive scales is that they tare and stabilize a bit faster than the pocket scales.
Yea, I'd hate to think what the hourly(daily??) pay rate is at that factory. I checked my scale & it turns off after 2 minutes 45 seconds which is fine for what I'm using it for. My Proscale shuts down every 30 seconds! Now that's irritating.
LMWDP 267

da gino

#17: Post by da gino »

By the way, I bought this scale and it worked well, but I eventually got it quite wet and killed it. I went on ebay and they had them for $7 including shipping from Hong Kong, so I picked up another one and it seems to be the exact same scale (although it may cut off a little faster than the old one - perhaps after a minute?) at an even more absurd price. I'm guessing it is even the same vendor - there were a few vendors on ebay, but all out of Hong Kong, so I think they were probably just different names for the same people.

Edit to note: I just went on ebay for the first time since I made the purchase a couple months ago and I have a message from ebay saying the listing was removed and my purchase did not go through because the seller didn't follow their guidelines. The scale showed up just fine so I don't know what ebay's message was about, but perhaps I was lucky and shouldn't send others to look for them there.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by JohnB. »

Mine got some water in it but a few hours up on the cup warmer & it worked fine once again. I did have an issue with the switches a couple months ago so I opened it up & soaked the switches with DeOxit. No problems since.
LMWDP 267