Portafilter cold wash vs cold towel - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
samgiles

#21: Post by samgiles »

I've a question / observation not entirely unrelated. I've spent 2 years learning to get the best from my Europiccola and I'm still learning. I pull 3 shots every morning over a period of 1 hour. In theory I should be avoiding overheating the group by taking this long over it and so I've never investigated any methods for cooling the group. The thing is, in the last 2 weeks the weather has suddenly got significantly colder as we're heading into winter. At the same time, my Pavoni shots have become incredible. Could this really be the difference? I can't think what else the difference could be.
LMWDP #169

IMAWriter (original poster)

#22: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to samgiles »

Are you pulling your shots outside? :lol:
Seriously, I suppose anything is possible. Ambient temps might affect things a touch, but I'd guess you just got a whole lot better between December and May, or the coffee you're using is better/fresher.
The sweetest lever shot I've ever pulled was on a Millennium Europiccola. Next sweetest on a Caravel.
How much colder is your inside environment?

samgiles

#23: Post by samgiles »

Hi Rob,
I know it seems a little inconceivable but the shots have been consistently awesome over the past 2 weeks and it's coincided with the temperature drop. I'd say it's around 4 - 6 degrees C colder and it came on pretty suddenly. I've been sticking with one bean for a while to try and hone my roasting and maybe that's helped a bit but I've really changed nothing there. I've also recently got the Mazzer Major but again, I've been using it for a month and haven't been doing anything differently over that time. Maybe I have and just haven't realized it. If I wanted to get really flaky, I might think that perhaps the Pavoni has caught wind of the fact that I have a Caravel and a Peppina sitting in the cupboard waiting to take it's place :wink:
LMWDP #169

IMAWriter (original poster)

#24: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

samgiles wrote:Hi Rob,
[snipped]

I've also recently got the Mazzer Major but again, I've been using it for a month and haven't been doing anything differently over that time. Maybe I have and just haven't realized it. If I wanted to get really flaky, I might think that perhaps the Pavoni has caught wind of the fact that I have a Caravel and a Peppina sitting in the cupboard waiting to take it's place :wink:
Was your Major new? If so, the burrs might have taken a while to "season."
As you probably know, new burrs (often) need several #'s put through them to even the edges, and "season."
That could be another factor.
Whatever, why question the coffee gods? :lol:

samgiles

#25: Post by samgiles »

The Major was second hand and tatty and I haven't even changed the burrs. They seemed in remarkably good shape so it's possible they may be relatively new. I've no way of knowing but I'm beginning to think you may be right and that the grinder might be the key (who knew? :lol: )
I hear you about not questioning the coffee gods but I just hope this run of great shots doesn't run out. Hurray... or should that be Harrah?
LMWDP #169