Compak K10 WBC vs. Mazzer Robur taste test - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
IMAWriter

#31: Post by IMAWriter »

AndyS wrote:Once you get used to fast grinders, 5 seconds seems a little slow, actually. A three-phase Robur at 60 hz does a double dose in about 1.5 secs. That extra 3.5 secs really comes in handy for doing essential stuff like spitting or scratching one's crotch.

To be truthful, though, I normally run the Robur at 36 Hz. At that speed it takes a laidback 2.5 secs to grind 14g. This is OK, though, because previously, with all that scratching time, I was beginning to get a bit sore. 8)
:lol:
This post is a companion piece to my Hand grinder thread "My voice has Changed", referring to pressure exerted in a sensitive area ....well, ya know. :oops:
1.5 seconds...holy cow!!!

woodchuck

#32: Post by woodchuck »

Well we did get to do a side by side at our Friday get together at CCC. First off the the two grinders together with the K10 sporting the smaller hopper.

It was hard to tell much difference between the two grinders by looking at the loaded pfs. If anything the K10 was a little more "fluffy":

The one on the left is the K10.

Taste wise well we didn't quite get there. As with all good plans we got derailed a bit by some coffee that just wouldn't behave. It was a newer organic espresso blend that Tim is working on. We couldn't get a consistent shot to work from. Not only that we couldn't agree amongst us on the taste profile. Tried two different LMs and had the same experience. Coffee Gods were obviously elsewhere today.

I brought some home to try a couple of different temperatures profiles.

Just a quick shot of Dan Kehn and Bob Barazza "hard at work":

Cheers

Ian

Arpi

#33: Post by Arpi »

One thing about the K10 is that you can clean the insides in 3-5 mins with a cute tip and a vacuum cleaner. I turn the grinder by hand from the top with a 6 mm allen wrench. I clean mine after use and that makes it nice for single shots (just put what you use). That helps me a lot in staleness management since I never have to do a purge (blow old grounds).

This is a picture showing the accessibility to the chute. I use a kitchen spatula (cut with scissor) to scoop what is left in the chute after each grind. I also use a toothpick container to push the beans in for measured single batches. I waste very little coffee.

Cheers