Seeking Insights: Baratza Sette 270 vs. DF64 vs. New Fellow Opus for Single Dose Grinding

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
savagebrood

#1: Post by savagebrood »

Hello fellow espresso enthusiasts,

I hope you're all doing well and enjoying some delightful brews. I'm considering upgrading my coffee grinding setup and I find myself torn between a few popular options: the tried-and-true Baratza Sette 270, the DF64, and the recently released Fellow Opus.

My main focus is on single dose grinding, so consistent grind size, minimal retention, and overall grind quality are paramount. I'm also interested in durability and ease of use, as I plan to keep whichever grinder I choose for the long haul.

Those of you who have experienced any of these grinders, I'd be grateful if you could share your thoughts and insights:

1. Baratza Sette 270: It has been on the market for a while, and its reputation precedes it. However, I'm curious how it stacks up against more recent contenders, especially in terms of grind consistency and retention?

2. DF64: I've heard a lot of positive buzz around this one. It seems to have a more robust build compared to the Sette, but does it deliver on grind quality and minimal retention?

3. Fellow Opus: The new kid on the block. Has anyone had a chance to use it yet? How does it perform in terms of grind quality, retention, and overall usability?

Looking forward to hearing your experiences and opinions. Any guidance will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Knowing what kinds of beans you enjoy† and what you value in your espresso will help a bit. The demands on a grinder for "filter" roast levels used for espresso, especially contemporary styles, are different than for classic espresso.

How many cups in a session do you usually pull?

How long is "the long haul" for you? Do you expect your tastes in coffee to remain where they are today over that period?

† I think you may roast your own. If so, are you dropping in first crack, shortly after, or on the way to second crack or later?