Frothing milk with big steam power.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Detour101

#1: Post by Detour101 »

I tried to improve latte art, the first thing is to get good frothed milk, I watch YouTube frothing milk clip, I can't find good spot to hear the whoosh sound when frothing milk, in the end the result is not so pleasant, I found place my steam wand tip in center to right side, dip the tip a bit into milk ends to get a better result.

Is it because my steam power too strong, and I have to little milk in the pot? Any suggestion?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

You might try pouring your steamed milk back and forth into another pitcher serval times until you not only have the right consistency but the right milk density to drop below the surface.

Open that steam knob slowly, there's a full head of steam behind it!

BTW: Rotary valve or joy sticks? What temperature does your steam boiler PID say? What year is your Speedster from; do you have a steam boiler gauge?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Without a picture or video, it is hard to tell.

My guess is that it is technique and practice, as long as there is a couple cm of milk in the pitcher and it isn't so deep as to go above the bottom of the spout. Even with a commercial machine, I treat it as if there are only two positions, on and off. You just need to work faster with a commercial machine. A DE1 may take 50 seconds to steam milk for a latte, but a commercial machine may compress that into 10-15 seconds or so.

One of my favorite videos covers a bit about the science behind it as well, which helped me understand some of the "why"
There are many others.

barNone

#4: Post by barNone »

Detour101 wrote:I tried to improve latte art, the first thing is to get good frothed milk, I watch YouTube frothing milk clip, I can't find good spot to hear the whoosh sound when frothing milk, in the end the result is not so pleasant, I found place my steam wand tip in center to right side, dip the tip a bit into milk ends to get a better result.

Is it because my steam power too strong, and I have to little milk in the pot? Any suggestion?
Very generally speaking, most milk jugs of 12 oz. and 16 oz. volumes typically need a minimum of 6 oz. and 8 oz. milk respectively so that there is enough distance from the surface of the milk to the bottom of the jug: below this level, the steam wand tip is too close to the bottom of the jug and a powerful steam jet will just reflect back up causing all sorts of splashing and large bubbles, especially at the start of your steaming when the pressure is the highest. The exact min. varies by jug but the dimensions are typically similar for an intended milk amount.

Unless your machine has a really long steam wand where you can angle it more horizontally (mine does not), you're probably going to need to tilt your jug so that the steam wand points into the "corner" of the jug, i.e. using the longer diagonal distance to further dissipate the powerful steam jets. And one last trick that helped me is to also start with the wand placed near the outside of the jug instead of slightly off center: this also lets the stronger steam pressure dissipate at the beginning while still creating a vortex when adding air, and after you've added your desired amount of air, you can move the wand back to "off center" and a bit deeper for a more powerful vortex that breaks down the milk bubbles better for finer microfoam.