Flojet for Bezzera Strega

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
EspressYO_

#1: Post by EspressYO_ »

Has anyone used a flojet to use a Bezzera Strega without the pump. Would this work or would I need to go another route? Plumbing into my houses water line is not an option for me

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

A great resource is Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In

I've used an Aquatek pump and Watts regulator drawing off a 1 Liter or half-gallon jug. I'll probably add a small accumulator next time I need to rig a machine up.

Advertisement
EspressYO_ (original poster)

#3: Post by EspressYO_ (original poster) »

What would the accumulator do? Sorry if that's a dumb question. My plumbing knowledge is extremely limited

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

EspressYO_ wrote:Has anyone used a flojet to use a Bezzera Strega without the pump. Would this work or would I need to go another route? Plumbing into my houses water line is not an option for me
Yes, I've done it, but how you do it depends on the version of the Strega, and how you choose to wire it. (There was a plumb-in only version, a tank only version, and a TOP version that can be configured to do either.)

Depending on version and how you wire it, an accumulator will not be needed as the machine's vibration pump can remain in the hydraulic circuit. (The plumb-in only version would need an accumulator, but that version is quite rare (and quite inexpensive).)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

An accumulator is basically a water filled balloon. The squishiness means that the demand pump doesn't have to start running the moment you switch on the machine's flow. You usually don't need one, but they can make things seem to run a bit more smoothly as flipping the brew switch doesn't make everything in the system turn on at the same time. The bigger the accumulator is usually the longer you can go before having the demand pump kick on. The downside of a big accumulator (past size and cost) is that if you're changing your water "mix" regularly there is a lot more to drain and replenish.

Moka 1 Cup

#6: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I think that unless you are going to use only the classic 5 gallon jugs, the wand of the Flojet is going to be a pain in the neck with other kind of containers. I sent it back mainly because of that (not only for that). A regular pump with flexible tubing is going to be more... flexible.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

N6GQ

#7: Post by N6GQ »

Not a Strega, but an LR, so very similar.

The pump was dying in my LR, and I didn't want to replace it, so I used it as an excuse to sort of "plumb in" the machine - by using an accumulator. I like to use distilled or zero water and add minerals upon use - so I wanted a reservoir still, rather than just plumbing into the existing house plumbing. I bought a Shurflo accumulator (has a built in pump), a regulator, and some John Guest tubing and fittings and went for it.

Long story short - its awesome. Its everything I could ever want in an espresso set up. I can mechanically dial in preinfusion pressure via the regulator. The pump on the accumulator runs maybe once a week or 10 days, and my espressos on the LR are silent. Its bliss.

The John Guest tubing and fittings were easy to work with. So far no leaks. When I travel and am away from home I unload the pressure off the accumulator into a large vessel so there's not water sitting there under pressure. I like to think it gives the accumulator a rest.

IMHO, way way better than a flowjet, while accomplishing the same thing.

My set up cost me probably $500, but I went overkill on a few areas. I think my accumulator is 2 gallons, you probably don't need one that big. A 1 gallon would likely suffice, but it also depends on how much use it gets. If you make one shot a day, then 1 gallon might last 3-5 days before the pump runs (it runs for maybe 30 seconds to top off the accumulator). YMMV, but its a fantastic set up if I do say so myself...
LMWDP #614

Advertisement
EspressYO_ (original poster)

#8: Post by EspressYO_ (original poster) »

What was the specific accumulator/pump you went with?

Tjyven

#9: Post by Tjyven »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I think that unless you are going to use only the classic 5 gallon jugs, the wand of the Flojet is going to be a pain in the neck with other kind of containers. I sent it back mainly because of that (not only for that). A regular pump with flexible tubing is going to be more... flexible.
Is the wand too long or what is the problem with it?