Travel espresso machine suggestions

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
becks777

#1: Post by becks777 »

I have a quick mill QM67 EVo and a Ceado E37S at home, but we travel a lot and I want something for our van. I need a small footprint machine, we like to make cappuccinos, and needs to heat up quickly.
I'm looking at the breville bambino plus and the Lelit Anna PL41TEM. I've read so much about both but having a hard time deciding. Also need a good "small grinder"
Any other espresso machine suggestions? Or a preference between the two? Downgrading is hard, but I don't want to get stuck drinking Starbucks. Thanks!

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

I've had a plethora of different espresso making machines/devices I have used for all types of mobile use including 4x4'n in my LandCruiser, RVs, hotels/motels/AirBnB, etc., over the past 15-years. For the past 5-6 years or so I've been using my EspressoForge + Bellman steamer (either the stove top type or CXE-25/27) and found it to be the best overall compromise for 'delivering the goods'.

Hot water comes via: JetBoil, gooseneck kettle with any camp stove or induction in our RV, microwave, etc., depending upon what vessel we're using. Steam power for cappas is either a tiny SnowPeak burner atop an iso-butane burner, camp stove and I've even used it atop the JetBoil with the pot adapter. If 120v is available the CXE-25/27 is great too which is my go to when we're pulling our little custom Escape 15A ala pavement or remote off-road trails.

I have entertained a Bambino/Bambino Plus, but not sure it can withstand the bumping around of mobile use.

Similarly, I've bought, used & sold too many hand grinders to recall; hand grinding gets old fast if you're grinding for more than 1-2 espressos. Since getting the Arco, I've used it primarily with the electric motor and find it to be really good all things relative. It doesn't take up much space (relative) and only requires a 200w inverter...
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
MNate

#3: Post by MNate »

I used the Silvia for a bit. Then the Robot which is great. But now I take the Picopresso because it's just so easy to travel with. The results are good, the effort minimal. I always do milk but when traveling I just settle for adding a bit of cold or microwaved a bit. It's amazing how many times I'd forget a critical component in the past but now it's just grinder, beans, and the picopresso bundle. Maybe a cheap scale or else I'll pre-weigh my beans in 18gram doses in ziplock baggies. Maybe a portable electric kettle if I'm nervous that the site won't have something.

So I'm sacrificing a bit of results for the convenience but I'm not looking back.

retireddude

#4: Post by retireddude »

I travel with a Robot, 1Zpresso K-Max hand grinder, cheap amazon scale, and water kettle. Most of which fits nicely in a case I bought from Harbor Freight.