First time buyer dilemma

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Chrisnow

#1: Post by Chrisnow »

Dear coffee lovers, I need your advice. I am "seasoned" reader and first time writer as I prefer to search and dig instead of throwing a question.

I hope you could help me with my dilemma :). My coffee profile is as follows:
Generally black coffees are my type. I am espresso guy and my wife likes good quality americano.We do not like bitter and sour flavours in the coffee. Between 4-6 cups a day. Milk coffees will be around 10-15% of all coffees pulled.
Looking for quality espresso machine at reasonable price. Jumping from automatic delonghi / Bialetti mokona and moka pots. (To make long story short, I am between 700 and 1300 use price range (I would like to avoid rather my top limit :D). Searching for best ratio quality/functionality/price. Not avoiding second hand equipment as the option.
Machine will be paired with baratza sette 270. I have read/watched followed lots about, so I got my picture of expectations and know limitations as well.

Before pulling the trigger I would wish to as few questions....Currently on my radar are VBM junior and Lelit Mara x v2.

1. I wonder why retails price of junior (circa 1300USD) is higher than Mara x (1050USD). Is it about built quiality, used better parts, longer live cycle??? Any justification?

2. I have a chance to get used vbm junior at 700 usd. Is it enough bargain to save 350usd compared to new Mara x v2? I am torn apart and can't get reasonable decision :(.

3. I like the taste of coffee and wish to have many shots during the day. However such amount of caffeine could not be healthy in long term. Is it possible to minimize the dose for single shot to have a chance of enjoying more shots?

4. Maybe stupid question - can we use decaf beans and achieve "reasonably" shots ?

Wish you great coffee day
Chris

Primacog

#2: Post by Primacog »

I have just some comments about a couple of your queries. On VBM, I have the super domo double boiler and it's in stainless steel throughout and it's well made and sturdy. It has served me well for a long time. Only issue I have had with it was it's electronics had to be replaced after about maybe 6 years or so. The nice thing about the VBM is that it was founded by the three patent holders for the e61 grouphead and thus VBM uses the "original" e61 grouphead which differs slightly from the clones. If that matters to yoi, then VBM is in that sense as venerable as Faema in pump machine history.

On health and espresso shots, I have read on a study saying the ideal number of espressos a day is 3-4. I do not know if the study relied on the traditional Italian single shot of 7g each or the new wave cafe standard grammage which is significantly more per shot or even double shot. It has also been suggested that filtering out some of the oils in the shot can help lower cholesterol levels. I typically add a filter paper disc to the bottom of the portafilter before loading it wirh grinds for this reason.
LMWDP #729

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Milligan »

I can't help with machine advice, I haven't used either of those. I have experienced caffeine related health issues and had to back off. Mine manifested as facial twitches and pressure in my temples. Pour over had a bigger influence on that than espresso. Decaf typically peak and die off faster than normal coffee. Some have suggested freezing the decaf and pulling it out as needed to extend its life. Reduced crema and tricky dial in are the main issues as it ages. Doing a half-caf blend can help mitigate that and significantly reduce the caffeine intake.

Moka 1 Cup

#4: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Chrisnow wrote:...
3. I like the taste of coffee and wish to have many shots during the day. However such amount of caffeine could not be healthy in long term. Is it possible to minimize the dose for single shot to have a chance of enjoying more shots?
Chris
We have been using the Tidaka kit (tamper, La Marzocco 7gr basket, funnel) and it's the best and easiest way to make an excellent tasty single shot.
Typically 7.5g-8.5g in, 20g-25g out, depending on the blend.
You would need a 58mm tamper.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Partial answers :lol:

2. VBM are good machines and should be easily serviceable. Sounds like a decent deal. How used is the VBM and how handy are you? Expect to at least do some group service like gasket and screen.

3. Several here drink single shots for this reason. It takes slightly different accessories--a single basket and usually a dedicated tamper. Good, recent discussion: What's the best single basket.

4. Search the coffee forum for recommendations of decaf beans. These also tend to grind and pull slightly differently than regular beans, but once dialed in can be very nice. I keep some in the freezer for occasional late afternoon or evening use. Mix regular and decaf beans together before grinding to make half-caf drinks. Not a purist approach to excellence, but you can certainly get decent drinks this way.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.