How wet do you wet your filters (Chemex/V60)?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
fhyrew

#1: Post by fhyrew »

Hi, all. I've been considering getting myself an electric gooseneck kettle (like the Fellow Stagg or Cuisinart GK-1) for some time now, but capacity has always been a holdup.

I'm currently using an Oster electric kettle, which I then pour into a nonelectric Hario gooseneck, for my brews. Given the Oster's large capacity, I've gotten into the habit of generously wetting my filters: usually around 500g of hot water goes into and out of my Chemex before I put the coffee in.

My daily two-person morning brew uses 750g of water, so with a smaller kettle (900 ml or 1 l), I'd obviously have way less water available for filter wetting than I'm used to. I've been experimenting lately with using just 150-200 g to wet my filters and I don't think I'm noticing much if any difference in taste, but I'm curious to hear how much water others typically use to wet their filters, so please, fire away. Thanks!

tastyparm

#2: Post by tastyparm »

I will wet the paper under the kitchen sink with a final quick rinse to heat everything. Not sure of the volume of water but just enough to go around once. Set up a test to see if you can notice a difference if you rinse at all!

Yan

#3: Post by Yan »

I use 2 electric kettles, 1 electric cheapo gooseneck (15usd) for boiling tap water and 1 brewista 1.2 L holding TWW or Aquacode with PID set at 90-92C, if I'm brewing 1L using 8 cup chemex I boiling 500+ ml tap water to flush the filter and heating the Chemex with the cheapo kettle after that start with my Brewista ... almost 2 year's doing that ritual, it's very convenient.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

I first prewet the filters in the filterholder with tap water. After boiling I pour in some hot water to get everything up to temperature. That way you're not wasting filtered water for wetting a filter.

Mbb

#5: Post by Mbb »

I heat my kettle on the stove top with a thermometer in it. When it gets to about 180...or so, I will rinse the filter paper. Put the kettle back on the stove. By the time I dump the water and addd my coffee in the filter, the kettles at 200 and ready to go.

Now, does it matter? Probably not at all.

However if I don't rinse the filter paper the coffee tends to climb up the filter and make it brown and if you do rinse it it does not do that.. and I like the top of my filter above the coffee grounds to not be brown after brewing.