How to consistently dose coffee for a traditional espresso - Page 6

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
another_jim
Team HB

#51: Post by another_jim »

malachi wrote:It's interesting that you say this. I found that (in northern and central italy at least) the single shots tasted VERY different from the doubles (though they looked and flowed the same).
I have to admit I usually drank doppios the last time I went to Northern Italy. My observation about identical taste comes from my more recent trip to the south, Naples, the bay of Salerno, and the Campagnia. Coffees aren't necessarily roasted darker, as far as I can see, but the acidity is almost always lower, and ristretto shots were the norm.
malachi wrote:You mean that, just because it's what is done in Italian bars (or for that matter at Intelligensia), doesn't mean you should do it at home?!?!?! grin
Actually, I meant it more like "don't try this at your bar, barista-boy" :P
Jim Schulman

King Seven

#52: Post by King Seven »

La Spaziale would never give me a copy of the video of the perspex portafilter. I am not the only person to have ever seen it - I showed it at the European Team Challenge back in Dublin in 2006. In that video there was clear layer of water above the coffee until the extraction ended and there was a little coffee explosion (It was a 7g dose so it got a bit muddy)

...<snip>... remainder of great post split to Coffee in Italy isn't amazing by moderator...

cannonfodder
Team HB

#53: Post by cannonfodder »

You can pull a single using the same grind as a double, if you find the correct basket combinations. Barry Jarrett uses (or use to use, been a while) a single basket that extracts at the proper rate as his double baskets. If I remember correctly, he went through a lot of baskets to find the right combination for his café. He posted it once but it would probably take quite some time to find that specific post. That way his barista's could go between the two without re adjusting grind settings. I know he still visits so maybe he can share that gem of a combination.

I like a single now and then. The profile does change but they can be very challenging to pull correctly unless you pull them all the time. They are worth the effort if for no other reason than to see what the coffee tastes like pulled as a single. Dosing, in my opinion, is very critical on a single because of the basket shape. Half a gram +- and your shot is no good in most cases.
Dave Stephens