Possibly upgrading to double boiler - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Dang

#11: Post by Dang »

new compact dual boiler from Vibiemme
http://www.risteriet.dk/blog/Danmarks_n ... OILER.html

Rybolt

#12: Post by Rybolt »

Dang wrote:new compact dual boiler from Vibiemme
Any info on availability/pricing ?

Dang

#13: Post by Dang »

9000 Danish Kroner with sales tax which would translate into 1266 USD (tomorrow it's probably about 1400 USD :)). Available in Denmark now.

Niko

#14: Post by Niko »

Those are all nice machines but I'm here to defend the Mazzer Mini E. You guys know he's talking about the doserless model, right? I know Dan knows since he mentioned it's overpriced for the neatness factor but the rest of you have to realize that doserless grinders are a whole different animal. When someone (like me) is not willing to have some behemoth on their counter with some gargantuan doser, the choices are pretty limited. The Mazzer is definitely one of the better doserless grinders out there. I own 3 different d-less, the Mazzer Type B, the MACAP MC4 and the Compak K3. By far I prefer the Mazzer but it was purchased in the days when it was waaaaay more affordable. Would I buy it today? Maybe not since the price hikes but it still deserves a look.
Now back to the espresso machine, you do have some more choices out there for a dual boiler machine than we did just a few years ago. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those mentioned. Above all, choose your vendor wisely.

zin1953

#15: Post by zin1953 »

nixter wrote:Ok I'm really getting the double boiler upgrade itch. I currently have an Oscar plus Grinta. I'm thinking Brewtus III-V plus Mazzer Mini E B. For the money could you think of anything better?
To quote Frank Zappa, "Questions, questions, questions -- flooding the minds of young people today."
  1. What do you find is missing/lacking with your Nuova Simonelli Oscar that makes you feel an upgrade is necessary? Or is it more of a "want" than a "need"? (Perfectly acceptable, of course.)
  2. What is missing/lacking from your Nuova Simonelli Grinta that makes you feel an upgrade is necessary? Or is it more of a "want" than a "need"? (Again, perfectly acceptable.)
  3. What is your overall budget for this upgrade?
  4. What sort of drinks will you be making -- mostly straight shots, mostly milk drinks?
  5. Is a plumbed-in machine a possibility, or must it be a pourover?
  6. Is a 20 amp machine a possibility, or must it be a 15 amp model?
  7. And why a DB machine rather than an HX (with or without PID on either one)?
Obviously the ultimate bottom line is that it's your money, Nikolai, and you can buy a new machine for no other reason than "I felt like it," and the RCMP won't be kicking in your front door anytime soon, but the answers will help.

WITHOUT knowing the answers, I offer the following comments . . .

I know that WLL is offering a "package deal" on an Expobar Brewtus III-V with a Mazzer Mini-E B for $2,705. If purchased separately, the BIII-V is $1,849, while the Mini-E B is $999; that comes to $2,848 (you save $143). I know that lots of people swear by the Brewtus II. The new Brewtus III is so new as to have virtually no "real world" experience yet, but there is little reason to think it has some serious flaw/bug/problem that would cause anyone to scream "Stay away!" at the top of their lungs.

The advantages of an Expobar Brewtus III is PID, and its predecessor's reputation (as noted above). The disadvantages are a vibe pump, pourover model. This may be a necessity dictated, I don't know, by the impossibility of having a plumbed-in model, but I have to confess that -- having a plumbed-in machine with a rotary pump, I will never go back.➀

For this reason alone, I would be remiss if I didn't at least point out the Izzo Alex Duetto. Granted it's $2,395, but it's easily switchable from tank to plumbed-in and back again. The drawback is that it requires a 20 amp circuit, and I don't know if that's available to you. The same can be said for the La Spaziale Vivaldi II ($2,195), in that it's plumbed-in and prefers a 20 amp circuit, but it can run on 15 amps. The "Mini" Vivaldi II is a pourover model, but it still prefers 20 amps and can run on 15.

Again, while I'm not sure why it must be a DB machine, as there are a number of great HX machines available in the same price range, but I'll refrain from mentioning any at the moment since you specified DB's.

The advantage of a Mini-E is the larger burr set (64mm) over the "regular" Mazzer Mini (58mm) -- I've always thought that this should be the "Super Jolly Doserless-E" as the burr set is the same, but that's another story. Have you thought of/looked at the Cimbali MaxHybrid (64mm conical/flat combination, $895)? Or a Macap MXKR (63mm conical burrs, $895)? Or a Compak K-6 Pro (64 mm flat burrs, $808.50)?

Cheers,
Jason

➀ Even now, I remain somewhat surprised by how annoying it was to refill my La Valentina all the time. It never bothered me with a Gaggia home machine, but as soon as I made the "leap" to the Prosumer category, it didn't take long before it began to drive me crazy! It sounds so trivial, I know, but as I say, I'd never go back . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

zin1953

#16: Post by zin1953 »

Dang wrote:new compact dual boiler from Vibiemme
http://www.risteriet.dk/blog/Danmarks_n ... OILER.html
I do not think it's available in the US. Yet.

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

zin1953 wrote:The advantage of a Mini-E is the larger burr set (64mm) over the "regular" Mazzer Mini (58mm) -- I've always thought that this should be the "Super Jolly Doserless-E" as the burr set is the same, but that's another story.
Au contraire, see Difference between Mazzer Mini E burrs and Super Jolly burrs?
Dan Kehn

zin1953

#18: Post by zin1953 »

I stand corrected. Nonetheless, it's not really a "Mini," either -- not with a 64mm set (versus 58).

malachi

#19: Post by malachi »

Until he answers the questions we're all just spouting bulls**t and unfounded opinion.
What's in the cup is what matters.

zin1953

#20: Post by zin1953 replying to malachi »

No. It's neither bull$#!+, nor unfounded opinion. All the opinions are in fact "founded." They just may not be applicable to the original poster . . . :wink: :twisted: :roll: