Lelit PL81T or Sage/Breville Bambino Plus

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Esphir

#1: Post by Esphir »

Wanting to buy my first real espresso machine but I'm still struggling to decide which one to choose.

The one I'm currently having (Beem Espresso Select Touch) is just awefull to work with, since not only is the pressure too high, it also struggles with temperature and was in general just a dumb buying descition because I've bought it before basically knowing anything about brewing and such, which is why I'm not only now trying to make the best/right decision, I'm also looking to specifically buy one with PID this time.

The problem is my budget (or what I'm willing to spend) isn't the biggest, which makes searching for one in the <500-600€ price range harder than it already is.

Like the title already says, the ones that are still in the price range and checking all of my marks are the Lelit PL81T and the Sage/Breville Bambino Plus (not that fond of modding so I'm better leaving the GCP/Rancilio Silvia out of the picture).

Both are comming with amazing individual features like the Bambinas fast start up time as well as the auto milk frothing option and programmable buttons so that you're not bound to always having an scale and/or timer by your side.
Lelit it's on the other side is shining with it's many customisable features like the manual PID, on top of having an bigger group head or in general beeing a single boiler for more temperature stability.

But they're also both having downsides which just makes it come down to with what I'm more okay with accepting.
For the Bambino it is its set in stone temerature because it's mainly made for milk drinks aka darker grinds (at least that's what I'm hearing from everywhere). Don't really know if it's gonna be that much of an problem since I mainly enjoy medium and medium-darker roasts but I guess it's something to keep in mind. I've also heard that it's shot quallity is a bit "worse" or better said more "basic" (for my defense I don't know how true this statement is since I can not really proof it but it's, like I've said, something I've heared here an there beeing talked about.

For Lelit it's got to be the longer warm up and louder noise on top of quite possibly having to "fix"/turn down the pump first since it's a massive problem Lelit their machines are having from what I've read everywhere (even tho you could also see it as somewhat of an plus since you can tinker with it in the future to maybe try out something new/diffrent like Torbo Shots).
Also the fact that it's harder/more expensice to find and get accesories for its 57mm Portafilter size might be a litte thorn in the eye. All of this on top of the fact that you've always got to be there to manually stop it, wich (maybe) could be a bit anoying in the long run, especially when you've found your favorite roast/recepie.

Some additional info about me, the grinder that I'm having is the Sage/Breville Smart Grinder Pro (which I'm perfectly happy with).
I'm also always open/love to try out new things like diffrent kind of beans to expand my horizon.
As for the drinks, I mostly aim for Espresso/Cafe cema as my drink of coice but also not minding a Latte sometimes here and there.

So yea, maybe you guys can help me here and give me some advice on which machine to coose now in the end.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Between those two, I would chose the Bambino Plus if and only if I was making milk drinks all the time, but otherwise the Lelit. Note that the Anna PL41TEM is pretty similar to the PL81T on the inside, but in a less expensive and not-as-nice case.

However, in that price range, I suggest that you look at the Cafelat Robot or the Flair 58 Pro. Many find that they make great espresso, regardless of price.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada