Any idea what component this is? (Breville Barista Express)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jobo

#1: Post by jobo »

I recently changed to a new solenoid valve assembly and new pump in my Breville barista express. I'm getting good heated water flow through the steam wand, but no water / pressure through the group head at all. Upon checking the motherboard, I discovered what looks to be a burn mark. Any idea what this component is and if it can be fixed?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Pressino »

If you mean that blue cylinder labeled "C5," it's an electrolytic capacitor. Hard to say if it's burned out, but to test them properly you'd need to unsolder it and check it on a multimeter with the ability to measure capacitance.

jobo (original poster)

#3: Post by jobo (original poster) »

Thanks. What about R37 and R39? It looks charred up like it exploded or something

TallDan

#4: Post by TallDan »

R=resistor
C=capacitor
JP=jumper

Those resistors don't look good. The real question is: what else might have failed at the same time, and is it worth troubleshooting, or should you just replace the entire board?

DefaultIT

#5: Post by DefaultIT »

out of curiosity, did you happen to notice any solenoid buzzing when or before you lost flow to the group? I've got a friend's Breville here trying to solve more or less the same issue (choked flow to group) , which I thought might be scale flakes in the valves. I did find and remove some there and in the group head...pulled maybe a half dozen shots ok and returned to almost zero flow.

During the tests, I have heard a couple instances of one of the solenoids (assume the brew/steam one) buzzing for maybe a quarter second...not sure if it wound up engaged or not after that. Basically wondering if this one's got a solenoid or triggering issue in addition to blockage, or if that was the real problem

jobo (original poster)

#6: Post by jobo (original poster) »

I did notice the loud buzzing which I assumed was due to a faulty solenoid. But it looks like the issue was with the PCB, not sure why the resistors decided to explode

vas

#7: Post by vas »

You can get a good view of R37 here. It's 1K resistor.
EDIT: Also found this thread. Maybe helpful.