Sey Maxi Garcia - I no longer know difference between Natural and Washed

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

Sey Maxi Garcia, WASHED Peru coffee https://www.seycoffee.com/products/maxi-garcia

Grounds smelled exactly like natural Ethiopian blueberry-bomb. The brew tasted exactly as a Ethiopian natural blue-berry bomb.

I have never had a washed coffee taste nor smell this way.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

No longer available (boo)...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Acavia (original poster)

#3: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to jbviau »

Sorry - I got it in subscription. I just wanted to note how "natural" it was. It would be a good coffee to fool someone in blind tasting where tasters were trying to determine the origin in blind tastings of several coffees.

howard525

#4: Post by howard525 »

I have around 10 coffees from Sey, and none of them taste like naturals, lucky you! I am considering subscribing to Sey recently, do you recommend their subscriptions? Do you get coffees that never went on their websites?

Tag Team Jesus

#5: Post by Tag Team Jesus »

I don't like Ethiopian coffees or naturals very much, but!... I also loved this Sey Peru Garcia. I like most of Sey's Perus. And I know what you mean by the smell and the taste of this particular coffee. I thought of it more as fragrant purple figs, but it was definitely in that blue/purple fruit spectrum. Very distinct in a way I hadn't had in another coffee, though I didn't experience it personally as fermentation.

I read on one of Sey's IG posts that in 2021 they put out 128 microlots, and I'm pretty sure they did even more last year. Because of this, it's hard to keep up with their output...but fun to try! Wednesdays they announce 1-4 (at least) new coffees and some of these might only be around for 24 - 48 hrs. So it's usually not possible to re-order once I've aged it to day 14+ and know if I want more...it's gone. But, there's always the promise of the next week's origins.

Acavia (original poster)

#6: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

howard525 wrote:I have around 10 coffees from Sey, and none of them taste like naturals, lucky you! I am considering subscribing to Sey recently, do you recommend their subscriptions? Do you get coffees that never went on their websites?
Yes, I recommend. I get coffees not on site at time - either already sold or never offered, frequently (25% to 50% of time.)

nameisjoey

#7: Post by nameisjoey »

I know exactly what you mean with this coffee. Its insanely naturalish, yet still so clean. This is the most fruited washed coffee I've ever had.

I'm really enjoying my Sey subscription so far. It's an excellent value and I am really impressed the quality they put out at the prices they do for their subscribers. Definitely recommend if you like lighter clarity focused coffee.

Acavia (original poster)

#8: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to nameisjoey »

It tamed down to resemble a washed coffee as it aged (around 21+ days), or I just got used to it. I also brewed with distilled-only to make it brighter and that was best brew of it.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by ShotClock »

I've just gotten into this after giving it an extended rest. I've been trying this with every coffee I'm getting from Sey, and this has been by far the best. It reminds me very strongly of a very jammy Burundi natural that I got from la Cabra via fellow drops last year. Quite fantastic!

burnt_turd

#10: Post by burnt_turd »

i was not a fan of this coffee at all! i do not get how you made this association because this coffee tasted flat and boring to me ....i love sey and have had a ton of their coffee but this was a huge miss for me